From: "Florian D." <flockmock@×××.at>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Upgrading to Raid
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 00:06:57
1 because there are so many people praising software-raid, you´ll probably
2 find this story interesting, which happened to me yesterday (my system
3 is -for the biggest part- on a raid5 partition):
4
5 while I emerged koffice, played some mp3´s and let matlab calculate sth.
6 in the background, I tried to start a windows program with wine. I
7 really shouldn´t do that, because Linux crashed and after a hard reboot
8 it could not boot any more. It stopped during the execution of the
9 init-scripts and i was not able to do anything, thus: 2nd hard reboot. I
10 have another(old) gentoo installation on my computer and this time I
11 booted into that one. By accident I realized that one of the discs of my
12 raid system has been marked as faulty and it was syncing in the
13 background. /proc/mdstat said that it would need 20min or so, but after
14 15min it said 200min! After another 10min it was sth >300min (and a lot
15 of IO errors). So I rebooted again, this time it synced successfully in
16 12min. Then it was possible to boot and work with my normal system
17 without any further difficulties or IO errors.
18
19 Summing up, I can say:
20
21 + I successfully wrecked my file system, but software raid was able to
22 repair it
23 - without a second Linux-installation on another partition, you´re lost
24 - restoring of a faulty raid disk is not reliable
25 - it seems that it is not possible to boot or work with a system, whose
26 system disk is being restored at the same time (Linux-2.6.12.6)
27 --
28 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list