From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] NVIDIA 100.14.19 + xorg-server 1.4.0.90 + xorg-x11 7.3 = blackscreen after every restart
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 18:05:53
1 * Hemmann, Volker Armin <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2
3 Hi,
4
5 > > Actually, Nvidia's binary crap *never* worked for me (GeForce Go 6100).
6 > > All the versions I tried (all from portage, even the hard masked),
7 > > crashed the whole machine (!) a few seconds after the Xserver
8 > > came up. Seem their kernel driver is heavily broken.
9 >
10 > maybe it is YOUR HARDWARE that is crap? Overheating? Bad PSU that
11 > is not able to reliable power the 3d part of the core?
12
13 Quite uncertain. The machine is very stable w/o the NV drivers.
14 But just loading the kernel module and waiting a few mins
15 ends up in an total lockup. I could 100% reproduce this problem with
16 several nv-chipset based notebooks (different geforce versions).
17 Ah, and there had been an preinstalled Vista on that box, which
18 worked perfectly with 3D stuff.
19 So I don't think it's an hw issue.
20
21 > hundreds, thousands, maybe millions of nvidia-on-linux users don't
22 > have problems.
23
24 Where do you got these numbers from ? NV marketing dept.?
27 cu
28 --
30 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
32 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
33 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
34 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
35 http://patches.metux.de/
37 --
38 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list