From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: vectorization (was: gcc4 CFLAGS)
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:17:32
1 Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk> posted
2 200609191234.24711.prh@××××××××××.uk, excerpted below, on Tue, 19 Sep
3 2006 12:34:24 +0000:
4
5 > On Tuesday 19 September 2006 01:24, John S. Yates, Jr. wrote:
6 >
7 >> Older super-computers, especially those designed or inspired by Seymour
8 >> Cray Cray, included "vector registers".
9 >
10 > [...]
11 >
12 > What a fine description. Thank you.
13
14 Jumping back in here since this happens to be the only message on the
15 thread I hadn't read yet, so showing.
16
17 I decided to try -ftree-vectorize and see how it goes. Haven't merged
18 much of anything with it yet, but...
19
20 Meanwhile, I stumbled across my first failure with -combine. The latest
21 (~amd64) logrotate ebuild (logrotate-3.7.2) fails with it, in the compile
22 phase of course, with an error to the effect of too many files passed to
23 cc1 or some such. I don't know enough about gcc to know what that means
24 in terms of gcc module, but I do know removing -combine from CFLAGS allowed
25 it to merge just fine.
30 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
33 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list