From: Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] VMware Player on Gentoo question
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 16:30:59
1 On Saturday 11 March 2006 16.30, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Hi Thierry,
3 > It's good news that Parallels worked that well for you that
4 > quickly. Was it pretty straight forward to bring up?
5 >
6 > Any thoughts on whether it would be likely to work in a chroot'ed
7 > 32-bit environment on my 64-bit Gentoo machine?
8 >
9 > Cheers,
10 > Mark
11
12 Hi Mark,
13
14 As it won't work on my Gentoo amd64 I made the test on a SuSE (I have not
15 converted to Gentoo on the laptop yet because I could not get hibernation to
16 work correctly). It was as easy as: install rpm with Yast, run the config
17 script, install a virtual machine.
18
19 I have no experience with chroot'ed environments (except for the one I used
20 while setting up Gentoo), so I can't answer your question.
21
22 The ebuild emerges correctly, the problem is when you run the configure script
23 that should compile the module - so I'd guess this is a problem relatd to the
24 fact that /lib does not point to 32 bit libraries.
25
26 As far as a chroot'ed environments supplies the right libraries it should
27 work.
28
29 Thierry
30 --
31 The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a
32 capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
33 safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
34 Frank Zappa
35 --
36 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list