From: Mateusz Arkadiusz Mierzwinski <mateuszmierzwinski@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted.
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 15:02:57
1 Dale, I tell You one thing - choose multilib. This don't do nothing wrong.
2 You can use 32-bit app compatibility and this don't reduce performance of
3 overall system. Easyest way for Me is:
4
5 - boot minimal CD
6 - format drive (partitioned allready)
7 - fetch with links stage3 od amd64
8 - fetch portage
9 - unpack
10 - mounting binded dev and mounting proc, copy resolv.conf
11 - chroot and update environment by env-update, source
12 - set environment (timezone, fstab, net)
13 - emerge some standard packages (vixie-cron, syslog-ng, dhcp, dbus, hal,
14 udev) and making global system update (-uva --deep system), setting USE
15 flags and CXXFLAGS as needed.
16 - emerge lilo, genkernel, gentoo-sources
17 - setting genkernel with menuconfig and run kernel compilation
18 - configure lilo ;) and running lilo.
19 - reboot
20 - emerging rest of software - aka KDE4 - this will push all packages needed
21 (aka. kde-meta will take deps like xorg, mesa and else so You don't have to
22 worry about - enable hal flag for convenience :) ).
23
24 Done! Works for me, without any incovenience, as You see nothing strange
25 happens, os is working without any strange things to do. You can set now KDE
26 profile, it should be listed by eselect for portage optimization.
27
28 One You should do: choose lilo - it's old, it's good, it's tested.
29 Configuration is fast and it's up and runnning in no time. Multilib you
30 should set for some applications compatibility if You will fetch in future
31 some deb/rpm packages from third party companies.
34 Be aware _lastest_ available in portage flash player - it has no support for
35 64bit browser (i don't know why). I've needed to get downgrade by hand. Now
36 after each upgrade flash player must be downgraded by hand (sic!) i will
37 mask it in packages.mask localy ;).
38
39 That's it - pure purity (64-bit only) can make you sick later, ill tell You
40 ;)
43 2010/12/9 Paul Jewell <paul@×××××.org>
44
45 > When I installed my system back in January, I started off with 64 bit only,
46 > and immediately hit a problem with grub compilation. I switched to multilib,
47 > and the installation went smoothly. I would recommend Pappy's seeds as a
48 > starting point for kernel configuration. Even if you don't use his seed, the
49 > debian resource to identify drivers is useful. If you need a link, I'll sort
50 > it out when I get home. I have not had any issues with the multilib setup,
51 > and compared to my old AthlonXP system it flies!
52 >
53 > Rgds.,
54 > Paul
55 > -----Original Message-----
56 > From: Florian Philipp <lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net>
57 > Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 10:48:29
58 > To: <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
59 > Reply-to: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
60 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice
61 > wanted.
62 >