From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Machine recommendations?
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 06:47:17
1 Thanasis posted on Sun, 15 Mar 2015 22:04:06 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 03/15/2015 07:43 AM, Duncan wrote:
4 >
5 >> If I decide to throw in a wifi card/antenna (USB since the PCIE will be
6 >> taken by the wired net),
7 >
8 > or use the 1 x Mini-PCIe slot.
9 >
10 > http://www.msi.com/product/mb/AM1I.html#hero-specification
11
12 Indeed.
13
14 But in my research I actually saw USB-based wifi on both frys.com and
15 pricewatch.com, as well as full PCIE, but mPCIE, not so common, at least
16 at the low-end price-points I was looking at (pricewatch normally ranks
17 by price, optionally including shipping, and frys can be set to do so,
18 and I saw USB-based and PCIE near the low end, mPCIE might have been
19 available, but further up the list than I looked, or perhaps I just
20 missed it).
21
22 So I'm simply going by what I know to be out there, actually available.
23
24 ... Now you'll probably link a newegg mPCIE-based wifi antenna. Not
25 that I'll complain! =:^) Thanks, BTW. You're being immensely helpful,
26 helping me work out all this stuff far faster than I would have been able
27 to on my own.
28
29 Meanwhile, when I get it all up and running, I expect to return the
30 favor, probably putting it up on the gentoo wiki. When I did my original
31 Acer Aspire One netbook setup with gentoo, I was able to follow wikis
32 both gentoo and others (arch, some guy had an entire dedicated AA1 site
33 with intense Linux coverage...), and it made things *MUCH* easier. But I
34 didn't really see anything like that for amd64-based routers. So this
35 will allow me to return the favor and make it MUCH easier for others. =:^)
40 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman