From: Jim <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] 64-bit or 32-bit?
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 23:09:56
* on the Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 03:20:26PM -0600,
* Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org said:
> > Maybe User-Mode Linux would work for you? > > I use a 32-bit chroot with essentially a complete system in > there. Once it's set up it's easier than maintaining two systems, > because the chroot doesn't have to be configured for boot and > shutdown, and because in fact most of the programs aren't used. But > space efficiency is so 1970s. A whole bloated system is there if I > want to use it for anything, such as a non-portage program that barfs > in 64-bit and which I don't feel like fixing.
UML sounds like it might be worth a shot. As far as the chroot goes, I never used gentoo that way. What do you do for a browser? Do you have to chroot every time you want to run your browser? Or do you run a 64-bit browser? The only real thing that I am missing is the ability to see a video in Firefox such as the movie trailers at Apple, etc. Jim -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list