From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Problem with latest timezone update?
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 15:32:03
1 On Thursday 17 January 2008 10:15:12 Nicolas Litchinko wrote:
2
3 > There's a variable in /etc/conf.d/clock that controls whether or not
4 > /etc/localtime should be updated when a new version of
5 > sys-libs/timezone-data is merged: TIMEZONE. If this variable is set, the
6 > specified timezone data file is copied over /etc/localtime.
7 >
8 > as you can read in /etc/conf.d/clock:
9 > # Select the proper timezone. For valid values, peek inside of the
10 > # /usr/share/zoneinfo/ directory. For example, some common values are
11 > # "America/New_York" or "EST5EDT" or "Europe/Berlin". If you want to
12 > # manage /etc/localtime yourself, set this to "".
13 >
14 > If TIMEZONE is not set, /etc/localtime is not updated by
15 > sys-libs/timezone-data. However, if TIMEZONE is set to an invalid value,
16 > then /etc/localtime is overwritten by the "Factory" timezone data file.
17
18 That's useful - thanks.
19
20 Now, how do I prevent /etc/init.d/clock being run at boot time? If I
21 command "rc-update del clock" it gets put back again at shutdown time.
22
23 My reason is that I want to run chrony on my network, for its smooth
24 adjustment of system time, and it can't work properly if another program
25 also changes the system time.
28 Rgds
29 Peter
30 --