From: Mark <whitetr6@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] problem after emerge --update world
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 15:35:43
I'm having a problem after I did emerge --update world last night.
After it finished, it said 75 files  in /etc needed updating. OK, I've
seen this before and have made mistakes with it. So this time, I
copied all of /etc to /home/mark/etc.old, and then ran etc-update. I
then let it auto merge everything and rebooted.

At this point, KDE would not start. Instead, I got a generic-looking
X11 screen, and had no mouse. So I did Ctrl+Alt+F1 and got back to a
cmd line. Then I copied everything back from /etc.old back to its
original place in /etc and rebooted again.

Now, KDE starts, and I have a normal login screen. However, when I log
in, KDE hangs on "Initializing Peripherals". Eventually, the KDE
startup screen goes away, and I'm left with a blank screen except for
my background, but no desktop icons.

Any idea how to fix this? Thanks
--
Mark
[unwieldy legal disclaimer would go here - feel free to type your own]