From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Alsa Problem With Kernel 2.6.37
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 19:09:16
1 Frank Peters posted on Sat, 08 Jan 2011 11:28:17 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > I already posted a report of this issue on the Alsa-users list but
4 > received
5 > no response. Before I go posting more reports I just want to ask for
6 > some confirmation. Has anyone installed the new 2.6.37 kernel and
7 > gotten functioning sound?
8
9 I run the Linus live-git kernels so have been running the 2.6.37 series
10 for some time now, and in fact am running 2.6.37 itself, ATM. I don't use
11 kernel modules here as I build everything in, but my sound (AMD 8xxx
12 chipset, i810/ac97 alsa driver) is working and has been thru the whole
13 cycle. I don't believe it'd have been released with a lot of people not
14 having sound, tho there might have conceivably been one or two reports in-
15 progress.
16
17 The hda driver still gets a lot of work each cycle, so it's reasonably
18 possible it could fail (tho I imagine a lot of folks have it too, so it
19 gets a lot of testing), but that it's happening with another driver too,
20 suggests that you might have a different issue. Are the devices actually
21 showing up in /dev/? Assuming you use udev, maybe it's the problem? If
22 you run them as modules not built-in, are the alsa kernel modules
23 themselves actually loading?
24
25 FWIW, udev-164-r1 and alsa-utils-1.0.23-r1, here (~amd64).
30 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman