From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Wine on AMD64?
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 19:10:05
1 On Jan 20, 2008 10:46 AM, Stratos Psomadakis <el05007@×××××××××.gr> wrote:
2 > O/H Mark Knecht Ýãñáøå:
3 >
4 > > Hi,
5 > > I got interested in looking at Wine again this week. Netflix has
6 > > changed their over the net policies for watching movies, changing it
7 > > for a specific number of hours per month to an unlimited service. I
8 > > haven't used the service much in the past (watched maybe 40 hours over
9 > > the last year) because it required me to both go into Windows AND use
10 > > Internet Explorer instead of Firefox. With an unlimited watching
11 > > policy it now becomes far more interesting to me if it could work in
12 > > Linux.
13 > >
14 > > With a lot of forum threads about how much better Wine has gotten
15 > > on games I thought I'd give it a try. I emerged the newest stable
16 > > version of Wine, downloaded Internet Explorer 7.0 and tried to get it
17 > > started. The immediate result was Wine failed to install IE7. I looked
18 > > around the WineHQ site but didn't find much specific on Wine in a
19 > > 64-bit environment so I'm wondering if many people here are using it
20 > > that way and what the tricks are these days to actually getting
21 > > something to work AND work well?
22 > >
23 > > Even if IE7 works then I'll have to see if the NetFlix integrated
24 > > player works. I suspect it won't but I'm taking this one step at a
25 > > time.
26 > >
27 > > Thanks,
28 > > Mark
29 > >
30 > i use wine on amd64, without any major problems...
31 > i use it for playing some old games i have,without having to switch to
32 > windoze...
33 >
34 > guitar pro 5 also plays well...
35 >
36 > if anything goes wrong, i check the appdb in winehq.org...
37 > usually there are guides and howtos to work around the problem...
41 Thanks for the info. That's good to know and it sounds like you're not
42 doing much of anything AMD64 specific?
43
44 Also, if you are using the newest version of Wine have you ever tried
45 setting it up from scratch with your apps instead of relying on
46 existing .wine directories? It seems to me that the wine developers
47 often want it both ways. They say that an app works, but it turns out
48 it works only with either an older version of Wine or a new version of
49 Wine but only with an older, prexisting .wine directory. When I go to
50 set up the same app on a new machine from scratch I cannot duplicate
51 what the AppDB says.
52
53 Just my experience.
54