From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: gcc 4.1 upgrade - bad desktop interactivity anyone?
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 20:48:03
1 "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> posted
2 5bdc1c8b0609151106u52bcf8f6s3c98497cf41bc2e8@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Fri, 15 Sep 2006 11:06:47 -0700:
4
5 > On 9/14/06, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >> Hi,
7 >> I'm just curious whether anyone besides me is noticing their
8 >> machine feeling somewhat sluggish since doing the gcc-4.1 upgrade?
9 >
10 > I noticed this morning that MythTV's frontend program is often using
11 > >90% CPU when viewed in top.
12 >
13 > It never used more than 10% before the upgrade to gcc-4.
14 >
15 > Clearly this is at least part of the problem here.
16
17 Indeed, that would explain your observations. Perhaps either the
18 front-end or some library it loads is one of the few programs that just
19 doesn't work quite right with gcc-4.1 yet. Good detective work!
20
21 So it would appear you have to try recompiling it with gcc-3.x again, and
22 see if that eliminates the problem. If not, you'll have to check its
23 dependency tree and try recompiling it. Get that 90% off the CPU and
24 maybe you'll see the better general efficiency of gcc-4.1, regardless of
25 whether you try my cflags or not. In fact, that's what I'd recommend you
26 do, before trying my cflags. You'd then have a better base on which to
27 measure whether my cflags made a difference for you or not, as opposed to
28 what gcc-4.1.x itself did.
33 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
36 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list