From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: 2.6.16 and ndiswrapper
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 00:00:33
On Saturday 25 March 2006 17:37, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote
about '[gentoo-amd64]  Re: 2.6.16 and ndiswrapper':
> I only found another late in the cycle, when I upgraded to 8 gigs of > memory from 1 gig. .15 and stable releases thereof work. .16 doesn't. > I haven't had time to trace that one further, however, and it's possible > I just don't quite have the kernel configured correctly and .15 just > happens to work anyway. This issue has to do with SATA, actually, I > think SCSI. With 8 gig of memory I'd normally configure IOMMU on but > that doesn't work with .15 or .16. With it off, .15 works, but .16 > fails when it tries to load the (libata based therefore SCSI based) SATA > RAID, saying the SCSI device nodes don't exist! My root is on RAID so > this is early kernel, where it first tries to load > SCSI-then-RAID-then-rootfs-read-only, so it's well before anything > userspace side is running, so it /has/ to be a kernel issue. There's a > changelog entry saying they eliminated bounce-buffers for SCSI that I > think is the problem, since bounce-buffers are >4 gig memory related, > but as I said, I haven't traced it yet, so I can't say for sure.
I had something like this happening on my 4GB system. With IOMMU off, I'd only have access to like 2G of memory. With IOMMU on, I had various results, ranging from kernel panic before initrd is loaded to missing memory (small, like maybe the size of my PCI IO window?) to a completely working system with devices properly mapped to memory addresses beyond my physical RAM. These various behaviors were controlled, oddly enough, by my BIOS settings. I'm running a Tyan Dual-Opteron Dual-PCIe board... If you've got a similar board, I can share my BIOS and kernel settings and maybe you can resolve your IOMMU issues. -- "If there's one thing we've established over the years, it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest clue what's best for them in terms of package stability." -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh