From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Alsa Config keeps disappearing
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 23:10:59
1 sean <tech.junk@×××××××××××.net> posted 4A492614.1050603@×××××××××××.net,
2 excerpted below, on Mon, 29 Jun 2009 16:37:40 -0400:
3
4 > I use xine for both CD and DVD, and a xine-out.wav is generated if
5 > alsaconig has not been run again after a system startup.
6
7 This sounds to me like one of the sound modules isn't loaded. ALSA has
8 always started muted, until it's unmuted, but that can't be it, as xine
9 should then play, it'd just be muted. But if one of the necessary
10 modules wasn't loaded, xine would presumably detect that by the failure
11 to open the device at all, thus the xine-out.wav.
12
13 But running the config loads the modules, which apparently are NOT auto-
14 loaded by the alsa service or whatever you have running at start to bring
15 back sound -- that's assuming that you DO have something running to load
16 sound at start.
17
18 FWIW, I've never had an issue of that nature here. For quite some time I
19 didn't run the alsa service at boot, since I only used sound in KDE, and
20 KDE would start it when I started KDE. However, when I switched to an
21 mpd based music system, I switched to starting sound at boot, and it
22 "just worked".
23
24 BUT, my kernel policy has for YEARS been to build-in everything possible
25 that I use enough to keep loaded. Stuff like the floppy and loopback
26 drivers don't get built-in, as I very seldom use them and thus might as
27 well not load them unless I DO use them. But all my sound drivers get
28 built-in, because if I'm loading them at boot and never unloading them, I
29 might as well. So presuming the problem is what I think it is, I
30 couldn't have it here, because the sound drivers are built-in, not loaded
31 as modules, so they're always loaded.
32
33 Of course, that can get a bit complicated for those drivers that need
34 parameters fed to them at load. Loading the modules is then easiest.
35 However, most of them can have the parameters fed to the kernel directly
36 on the kernel command line, as fed to it from grub (or with newer
37 kernels, 2.6.29 maybe??, from the built-in kernel commandline option,
38 which sure simplified /my/ grub kernel line!). The problem then is
39 finding the documentation telling you exactly what form to use on the
40 kernel commandline, since the options take a bit different form there,
41 including the driver name, etc, as it's otherwise not obvious what they
42 refer to. But in most cases it can work, you just have to find out
43 exactly what to feed the kernel commandline.
44
45 So that's what I'd suggest. If your sound card drivers do NOT require
46 driver commandline options, build them in. If they DO, it's a bit more
47 complicated as you'll have to find documentation covering the exact
48 format of the kernel commandline options to feed, but look around in the
49 kernel documentation dir and do some googling and see what comes up. If
50 you can find what to feed the kernel, do so, build-in the drivers, and
51 that will hopefully eliminate the issue. Of course, this assumes that
52 you are loading the drivers at boot and not unloading them, so building
53 in the drivers doesn't increase the running size of the kernel
54 uselessly. But I expect that's the case for the folks having the problem
55 here, or they'd already be used to loading and unloading their sound
56 drivers as needed and thus wouldn't be having the problem with the
57 failure of the automatic system to load them.
62 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman