From: Brett Johnson <brett@××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] AMD64 - Firefox, flash, java, mplayer and more....
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 17:01:29
1 Hi Mark,
2
3 1) Yes, if you install x86 version of gentoo, it will be 100% functional
4 as a 32 bit OS.
5
6 2) You can install a 32 bit choot version of gentoo under you 64 bit os
7 and be able to run 32 bit apps in the chroot while still running the 64
8 bit os. This option will require additional disk space as you are running
9 two seperate installs of gentoo (excpet you don't need to build the
10 kernel, logger, cron etc.. in the 32 bit install). Here is a good doc on
11 how to set this up.
12
13 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/amd64/howtos/index.xml?part=1&chap=3
14
15 Brett
16
17 > Hi,
18 > My wife and I signed up for a class that is taught partially in
19 > person and to a great extent on the web. To use the material it's the
20 > usual set of requirements - Windows, IE or Firefox, Java, Flash, an
21 > audio player that plays stuff on the page, etc., or a Mac. My wife's
22 > 32-bit Gentoo machine is working fairly well, although I am having a
23 > couple of fairly serious Java problems. (Which I hope can be worked
24 > out.) My AMD64 machine, on the other hand, is failing terribly and I
25 > really need it to work, somehow...
26 >
27 > To this end I'm at the very early stages of a 32-bit install. I'd
28 > hate to have to drop back to 32-bit operation on this machine full
29 > time, although I'm not actually running anything that has to run
30 > 64-bit so maybe it's a non-issue really, other than the work involved
31 > to get there.
32 >
33 > Some questions:
34 >
35 > 1) If I build and boot a 32-bit version of Gentoo it is my
36 > understanding that the AMD64 will be completely 32-bit compatible and
37 > that I can run whatever any other IA-32 machine can run. Is this
38 > correct?
39 >
40 > 2) If I build a 32-bit install is there anyway to run this 32-bit
41 > environment within the 64-bit environment? I assume not.
42 >
43 > Thanks in advance. You all have been quite helpful over the last
44 > few months and I'm more than sure that you will be now.
45 >
46 > cheers,
47 > Mark
48 >
49 > --
50 > gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list
56 Random Thought:
58 THE TRUTH IS NOT OUT THERE
59 THE TRUTH IS NOT OUT THERE
60 THE TRUTH IS NOT OUT THERE
61 THE TRUTH IS NOT OUT THERE
62
63 Bart Simpson on chalkboard in episode 3G01
66 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list