From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: eselect problems
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 14:00:16
1 On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 10:26 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> posted
3 > 5bdc1c8b0811231435y2eea1b1by366c787c983c1089@××××××××××.com, excerpted
4 > below, on Sun, 23 Nov 2008 14:35:42 -0800:
5 >
6 >> The root cause of this is I wanted to emerge the newest version of
7 >> Ardour from the pro-audio overlay and ran into a new message about it
8 >> being masked by something called EAPI 2 which according to the message
9 >> requires a 'newer' version of portage. (No revision given.) That's all
10 >> this was about, and there's absoutely no rush to fix it as I'm not
11 >> likely to really use Ardour. Just wanted to take a look at what sort of
12 >> headway they are making with their feature set so it's really nothing
13 >> but pure curiosity.
14 >
15 > OK. FWIW, for EAPI-2, you need the new ~arch portage-2.2-rcX series.
16 > EAPI-2 is allowed in various overlays and now in ~arch, but not in stable
17 > until a stable portage supports it. It'll bring a number of new features
18 > including full set support, per-package use-defaults (previously a USE
19 > flag could be defaulted to on per profile, but not per package, off being
20 > the unset default, of course), and IIRC use dependencies (if a package
21 > requires say C++ support and gcc has been built without it, it must now
22 > die with an error message telling the user to make the change, with use-
23 > deps, it could force gcc to be recompiled with C++ instead of dying, thus
24 > avoiding somebody leaving a 200-package emerge going overnight, only to
25 > come back the next day to find out it stopped with package #2 due to a
26 > USE dependency death).
27 >
28 > So there are some nice things coming in EAPI-2 and a number of packages
29 > can really use them. But an EAPI-2 supporting portage, while now in the
30 > tree, remains unstable, as there are still a few bugs to work out before
31 > it goes fully stable. So if you prefer a stable portage, you'll have to
32 > wait for EAPI-2, and any packages requiring it (which by definition can't
33 > be stabilized until an EAPI-2 portage is stable too).
34 >
35 > --
36 > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
37
38 Thanks Duncan. I basically understand the portage stuff, in the sense
39 that it's a new feature. I read a few eamils form the portage
40 developers, etc., and got a sense of some of what it is supposed to
41 do. that part I'm OK with, as I am, I guess, with the idea that
42 someone who wrote the Ardour ebuild is requiring these new features.
43
44 My real question is what is required to build that portage on an
45 ~amd64 machine so that I can build Ardour? Is anyone on this list
46 using portage-2.2.x? If so how did they get it to build?
47
48 Thanks,
49 Mark