From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] FVWM taskbar segfault on ~amd64
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 22:40:27
1 On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 13:54:14 -0800
2 felix@×××××××.com wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 08:42:42PM +0100, Jes?s Guerrero wrote:
5 > > Then update the list of overlays with layman -f. You can now list
6 > > the overlays with layman -L, the installed ones with -l, and you
7 > > can add a new one with layman -a <overlay>. For example, to get
8 > > the devnull overlay, you would do "layman -a devnull".
9 >
10 > Oh boy, looks like some interesting overlays there. I can see only
11 > too easily how I could have fun and get into trouble exploring them.
12 > You will be the ruin of me! :-)
13
14 Indeed, it's dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.
15
16 Most overlays are safe, but there are several that could be a big pain if
17 misused.
18
19 About the fvwm thing... well, the easiest thing I can think of would be
20 this: don't use layman. Sync the overlay into your home dir, for example:
21
22 cd ~
23 mkdir svn
24 cd svn
25 # for the next command you need subversion, emerge it if
26 # you haven't done it yet
27 svn http://svn.engelkotzen.net/public/devnull
28
29 Now you have the overlay in your home, but it is not too useful there. So,
30 you need to make your personal overlay, edit /etc/make.conf, and add this
31 BEFORE the other line I gave you above:
32
33 PORTDIR_OVERLAY="${PORTDIR}/local"
34
35 Now, this:
36
37 cd /usr/portage
38 mkdir local
39 cd local
40 mkdir x11-wm
41 cd x11-wm
42 ln -s /home/i92guboj/svn/devnull/x11-wm/fvwm .
43
44 Now, you have your own personal overlay, with only one package, but that
45 package is into your home dir. The contents of your /usr/portage/local/x11-wm/fvwm
46 overlay will be a link to the real contents in your home.
47
48 What is the advantage of this? Well, portage now can see your new fvwm package,
49 and you can update the devnull overlay with a simple command, but the rest of
50 package into devnull will not interfere with your system.
51
52 To update the overlay, you do
53
54 cd ~/svn/devnull
55 svn update
56
57 And you will have the latest stuff in that overlay (but only the fvwm stuff, or
58 whatever you link into your local overlay will be used.
59
60 You can as well just create the /usr/portage/local/x11-wm/ dir, set up the make.conf
61 as I told you above, and then cd into /usr/portage/local/x11-wm/ and then
62 do "svn co http://svn.engelkotzen.net/public/devnull/x11-wm/fvwm" to update
63 only that little bit of the tree.
64
65 This second way can be more convenient because you save some bandwidth, since
66 you only download the stuff that you want.
67
68 As you see, you have many alternatives. The problem with either of this,
69 is that you are the responsible to update the ebuild when necesary via svn.
70
71 If you have questions, just ask.
72 --
73 Jesús Guerrero <i92guboj@×××××.es>