From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Various wine questions
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 13:07:05
1 Luigi Pinna <mailing-gentoo@××××××××××××.com> posted
2 200606080130.19713.mailing-gentoo@××××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on
3 Thu, 08 Jun 2006 01:30:19 +0200:
4
5 > Alle 01:10, giovedì 8 giugno 2006, Mike Arthur ha scritto:
6 >> > > I don't use ARTS because it sucks. Can't help with the other
7 >> > > problem. What sound card do you have?
8 >>
9 >> Audigy 2.
10 >> Your card supports hardware mixing, so you don't need a sound daemon
11 >> like ARTS, so I'd disable it in the KDE control centre, then try
12 >> Skype.
13 >
14 > It doesn't work: I think that I cannot disable arts at all if I stay in
15 > kde... I try tomorrow to run it outside kde!
16
17 I don't do WINE (or Skype, Linux version or not) as there's very little
18 slaveryware I could legally run even if I wanted to, due to the fact that
19 I couldn't agree to the EULAs, and if one isn't going to be running
20 slaveryware, there's little reason to run WINE, so I can't help you with
21 that.
22
23 However, I DO run KDE, and aRts, and can help you with that. While you
24 don't have to run arts for its software sound mixing capacities, it
25 remains the simplest way to get and keep sound running on a KDE desktop
26 (until KDE-4, late this year or early next, which will rid us of that
27 problematic thing!).
28
29 You have two possible choices. I'll tell you how to do both so you can
30 pick, or in case the one you try first doesn't initially work for you.
31
32 Normally, when I have an application that has sound output, but doesn't
33 have an aRts output option or plugin, I use artsdsp. This handy little
34 app is used as a wrapper for whatever you are trying to run, intercepting
35 calls to the sound hardware and running them thru aRts instead. You can
36 get the commandline options the usual way, using the --help option,
37 therefore "artsdsp --help", but most likely, all you'll need to do is run
38 the Linux Skype like so:
39
40 artsdsp skype <normal skype options>
41
42 That should pipe skype thru arts, mixing in the sound from skype with
43 anything else you have playing thru arts at the time.
44
45 If you prefer to run skype on its own, you /should/ be able to shut down
46 arts from the KDE control panel. If that doesn't work, it's possible arts
47 is locked up (it's not the most stable thing in the world, certainly), and
48 you may have to kill arts, which should work. Regardless, when you are
49 done you should be able to restart arts thru the control panel and all
50 should be well.
51
52 Here's the control panel instructions.
53
54 1) Either start the general KDE control panel (kcontrol) and select Sound
55 and Multimedia, Sound System, or start the arts-specific control panel
56 applet (kcmshell arts) directly. (BTW, you can start any of the kcontrol
57 applets directly. To get a list of all the many possibilities, run
58 kcmshell --list in konsole.)
59
60 2) On the General tab, uncheck the "Enable the sound system" checkbox.
61 Hit apply. It should gray-out pretty much everything else in the applet,
62 leaving only the tabs at the top and the row of buttons at the bottom
63 available.
64
65 That should be it. aRts should now be stopped, no system sound effects or
66 the like should work. You should be able to run Skype or whatever else
67 you want that interfaces with the sound system directly, without issue.
68 It shouldn't be necessary to kill or restart KDE.
69
70 As I said above, if aRts is still showing up in your task list
71 (normally as artsd, in top or ksysguard or ps or whatever), kill it. Try
72 "killall artsd" first, and if that doesn't work (the default SIGTERM,
73 signal 15, doesn't always work), try "killall -9 artsd". Unless you are
74 running aRts as root or a different user, that should do it. (If you are,
75 of course you'll need appropriate user privs to kill artsd.)
76
77 Once you are done using skype or whatever, you can turn aRts back on by
78 simply toggling the checkbox back to checked, and hitting apply once
79 again. It should popup a little "starting the sound system" progress
80 dialog, and a couple seconds later, you should be back in business. If you
81 wish, you can hit the test button to verify that it's working.
82
83 PS: This likely won't help you as it doesn't look like you are US based,
84 but maybe you can find a similar solution, and others may find it useful.
85 I've done all my taxes on the web the last couple years. The place I use
86 (for US and Arizona state taxes), TaxEngine.com works just fine with
87 Konqueror, altho it does need cookies and scripting turned on. They
88 charge of course (IIRC $10 each state and federal, short forms anyway),
89 but for those that qualify for the IRS' free tax efiling partnership
90 program, it may be free for both state and federal if you use the link on
91 the IRS site to get to TaxEngine. I used them this year for the second
92 year in a row, and have been very happy with them, particularly since
93 before that I was managing to use someone else, but only after jumping
94 thru all sorts of hoops (including installing Netscape every year, just
95 for taxes), where as long as cookies and scripting are on, Konqueror, my
96 normal browser, "just works" with TaxEngine.
97
98 http://taxengine.com
105 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
108 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list