From: arnuld <arnuld3@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: stopping IPv6
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 14:41:54
1 > Well, I've learned to be rather careful using words like "only" and
2 > "all" without some sort of escape clause, since it takes only a single
3 > exception to disprove the case. However, running out of room is the case
4 > must of us are familiar with that would trigger that error (as should be
5 > obvious given you had essentially three people suggest the same cause),
6 > and the usual reason for that is that one is extracting to a location that
7 > didn't have the free space one expected -- because it's not the location
8 > one had in mind.
9
10 abyway, i am suing BLAg to read this email. also downloading "Linux
11 >From Scratch LiveCD". tomorrow morning i will try Gentoo.
12
13 > Another possibility in the same vein... Are you sure you created your
14 > partitions correctly? IOW, you didn't make it say 40960 KB (40 MB) instead
15 > of 40960000-odd KB (40 GB), right? Again, the output from df should
16 > make such a mistake immediately clear, if you did.
17
18 partitons were correct. damn-sure :-)
19
20 > Yet another variant on the theme would be if you messed up fstab,
21 > assigning / to the small partition you intended for /boot, or something
22 > like that.
23
24 i havn't even touched fstab.
27 > It was in an interview I read on one of the computer mag sites. I used to
28 > include the link as well, but decided that was a bit heavy for a sig, so
29 > don't now. However, a bit of quick googling points to this from late 2004:
30 >
31 > http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
32
33 hey thanks BUDDY ;-)
34
35 > It's well worth reading, both on the freedom theme and because much of the
36 > material discussed, the freeing of Solaris and Java, is just as topical
37 > now if not more so than it was then, what with Java being GPLv2ed, and
38 > some hints coming out of Sun that it /might/ actually consider relicensing
39 > Solaris under the GPLv3 if it likes the look of the final license. What
40 > with Linux staying hard GPLv2 and the opposition of the Linux kernel
41 > hackers to GPLv3, if Solaris /does/ go GPLv3 along with most of the
42 > GNU software family, and with Tivoizing and the possible fallout from the
43 > MS/Novell deal, things could quickly get /very/ (as in /extremely/)
44 > interesting in the world of freedom software.
45 >
46 > (I had to delete several paragraphs and force myself to be content with
47 > only the above, or this could easily become a multi-hundred line post on
48 > that alone. =8^)
49
50 If you have saved the "deleted" lines, send them to me. i want to read
51 them & If you have some time , create a BLOG of that "multi-hundred
52 line post BUT 1st email them to me, i will feel happy to have a draft
53 version 8-)
57 -- arnuld
58 http://arnuld.blogspot.com/
59 --