From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Hurray! Radeon KMS in 2.6.31
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 04:30:00
1 "Dmitri Pogosyan" <pogosyan@×××××××××××××.ca> posted
2 200906172226.n5HMQ9o11978@×××××××××××××××××××××.ca, excerpted below, on
3 Wed, 17 Jun 2009 16:26:09 -0600:
4
5 > Multimonitor functionality is, however, a must.
6
7 FWIW, I'm in 100% agreement with you. I run dual 1920x1200 stacked for
8 1920x2400, and if the new drivers don't do that, I'll be back to the old
9 drivers faster than fsck!
10
11 But I don't expect it to be a problem, because while it's relatively
12 uncommon to run dual desktop monitors and probably always will be as
13 laptops are the majority seller now, there's a LOT of folks now days that
14 will flat call it broken if their laptop can't work with both the
15 internal and external monitors at the same time! In fact, that was and
16 remains the big push behind RandR and input hotplugging as well, and now
17 that they've got it working reasonably well, they're NOT going to go back
18 to having it broken, or people will be walking away, as I said, faster
19 than fsck!
20
21 Plus, enough of the xorg devs work with laptops and do enough "mobile
22 warrioring" that it's not as if they don't have the hardware or the need
23 to keep it working just for themselves, because they do.
24
25 So I just don't see it as even a possibility that they'll implement it
26 without that.
27
28 Still it's a a very good question, one that while it's important to me, I
29 hadn't thought of, simply because I /don't/ believe it within the realm
30 of reason. So I'm glad /someone's/ thinking about it!
35 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman