From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: recommended USE flags
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 18:37:38
1 Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk> posted
2 200608121835.43684.prh@××××××××××.uk, excerpted below, on Sat, 12 Aug
3 2006 18:35:43 +0100:
4
5 >> "Support for X", fine, and as varied as that support might be, that's
6 >> about as detailed as one can get in use.desc and stay accurate for all
7 >> packages.
8 >
9 > I disagree. It's easy enough for use.desc to say "This will pull in the
10 > whole X-Window System" or "Enables programs to handle WMF files". Or even
11 > just to include a single-letter G or L prefix to each description as a
12 > first step.
13
14 But the thing is, different packages may do different things with a USE
15 flag. Support for X is often linking against xlib (as in the example I
16 gave), but doesn't have to be that major, and (again as in the example)
17 could be a minor as adding a few icons and *.desktop files. The only way
18 to describe the effect of a USE flag on each package, in many cases, is to
19 do just that, make the description per package, not global.
24 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
27 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list