From: Paul Stear <gentoo@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Convert multiple vob files to mp4
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 16:58:41
1 On Wednesday 06 December 2006 13:41, Michael Weyershäuser wrote:
2 > Ian McCulloch wrote:
3 > > On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, Paul Stear wrote:
4 snip
5 >
6 > There are a few relatively easy to use GUI Tools around (ogmrip comes to
7 > mind), but they are somewhat limited in options. One tool that has quite
8 > a few options (but therefor requires some knowledge and reading on your
9 > end) is dvdrip. All of these are best used for encoding to xvid.
10 > But there is a new star on the codec horizon, and that's h264. Takes a
11 > lot of CPU cycles to encode (10-12h on an opteron 148 for a 2h movie
12 > with high quality settings here), takes more CPU power than xvid to
13 > decode (Though that shouldn't be as bad as encoding) but gives you the
14 > same quality as xvid with half the bitrate. The best way to encode this
15 > is with mencoder, their homepage has some good information and the
16 > mplayer man page has the rest. Check
17 > http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/index.html chapter 14 and following.
18 Thanks very much for this info, I am at the moment converting one dvd into
19 mpeg4 using dvrip. It is taking a long time.
20 I will check out the memcoder homepage.
21 Thanks again
22 Paul
23 --
24 This message has been sent using kmail with gentoo linux
27 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list