From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: 4GB memory hole, poor BIOS
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 01:08:58
1 "Alejo Sanchez" <alejos@×××××.com> posted
2 3190d0e50611030847h7ac5f0edjb20f44b4fce0b1b0@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Fri, 03 Nov 2006 16:47:41 +0000:
4
5 > Running Gentoo/amd64/hardened with 2.6.17 on an HP DC5100 in EM64T with
6 > 4GB I've hit a wall on using all the memory, only 3200MB are reported.
7 > I've googled a lot but couldn't get the missing memory to work.
8 >
9 > - the BIOS doesn't do any memory hole remapping, the upgrades available
10 > only mention cpu microcode support changes - the bios doesn't let me
11 > disable pci express (some ppl say that's the worst mem addr eater)
12
13 Please turn off that HTML junk you are using. Some people filter posters
14 who choose to use it out entirely, as spam or malware or the posting of
15 AOLer types that simply don't care what they spew.
16
17 If the BIOS won't list it, I don't believe there's a way to get the kernel
18 to see it. That's that. You can try the BIOS upgrades and see. If they
19 don't give you the options, write the mobo suppliers and ask them. I know
20 both Tyan (my mobo maker) and Monarch (the dealer I bought the board and
21 CPUs thru) were responsive to email. Tyan is one of the better for Linux
22 support too, but their boards tend to be mid-to-high range, price-wise. I
23 paid $400+ for my dual Opteron board about three years ago (late 2003),
24 have upgraded the memory to 8 gig, and will be upgrading it to
25 dual-cores in 1-6 months, after which I plan on continuing to use it for
26 another two years minimum, maybe 3-4 years, giving me 5-7 years life off a
27 single mobo, so the $400 I paid was worth it.
32 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
35 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list