From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Emerging package as both 64 and 32 bit
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 12:42:04
1 Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o> posted 45866BE0.20905@g.o,
2 excerpted below, on Mon, 18 Dec 2006 12:22:24 +0200:
3
4 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 >> What's wrong with the GRUB source package? I remember using grub-static
6 >> when I first went 64 bit, but haven't used it for ages. The only 32 bit
7 >> stuff I use here is firefox-bin and vmware.
8 >
9 > No problem, but it's 32bit.
10
11 Indeed... for backward compatibility, amd64/x86_64 boots in 32-bit mode.
12 Actually, I /believe/ it boots in 16-bit real mode, just like an x86, then
13 switches to 32-bit or 64-bit when the appropriate command is given, but
14 AFAIK the difference between compiling 16-bit and 32-bit code is simply a
15 few compile-time switches, so it uses a standard 32-bit toolchain.
16
17 My point, however, was that since everything else I run is 64-bit, if I
18 didn't need the 32-bit tools to compile grub -- or if I was willing to
19 settle for the pre-compiled grub-static -- I could save myself a *LOT* of
20 extra work by simply using the no-multilib subprofile, thus saving myself
21 all that time compiling the 32-bit side of glibc and gcc in particular.
22
23 One of these days maybe I'll probably just do it, unmerging grub, merging
24 grub-static, switching to the no-multilib subprofile and remerging
25 glibc/binutils/gcc (they may have to be remerged in a particular order,
26 which I don't know at this point). However, I've been thinking that for
27 awhile and haven't done it yet, and I'll be upgrading my pair of Opteron
28 242s to dual-core 285s pretty soon here, making it that much less
29 necessary since compiles will be rather faster then, so who knows?
30
31 Hmm... thinking about it as I write this, something new occurred to me.
32 There's a good probability I could compile grub independent of my system's
33 portage, using a LiveCD (either Gentoo or other), and could therefore go
34 no-multilib without losing my self-compiled grub, if I decided to. I'll
35 have to think on it a bit more. OTOH, simply using grub-static would be
36 far less hassle for what amounts to the same thing, since using a gcc I
37 didn't build myself would leave outside influences on the produced grub
38 anyway. Still, part of what was holding me up was the "just in case"
39 factor, for other 32-bit software as well, and now that I realize I could
40 compile it from a liveCD 32-bit environment or the like if necessary, that
41 pretty much does away with /that/ particular excuse.
46 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
49 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list