From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: arts
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:18:47
1 Luigi Pinna posted <200507111804.06064.mailing-gentoo@××××××××××××.com>,
2 excerpted below, on Mon, 11 Jul 2005 18:04:01 +0200:
3
4 > Alle 14:01, sabato 09 luglio 2005, Duncan ha scritto:
5 >
6 >> Run kcontrol and switch to Sound and Multimedia, System Notifications
7 >> (or run kcmshell kcmnotify, to get the specific applet directly), click
8 >> the Player Settings button, then the Use an external player radiobutton
9 >> in the resulting dialog. Enter or browse to the player you want to use,
10 >> hit apply, and test the results. Note that you may have to play around
11 >> with command line options such as volume and the like, for your selected
12 >> player.
13 >
14 > I tried it but it doesn't work.
15 > I selected alsaplayer (like you) and I tested alsaplayer alone, but with
16 > KDE no chance...
17 > What did you do? Only selected the player? Can you help me? Thanks,
18
19 I expect something else has claimed exclusive use of the sound system at
20 the same time. That could be ARTS itself if you haven't entirely disabled
21 it (try "ps aux|grep artsd" at the konsole to see), since arts is KNOWN to
22 hog exclusive control of the sound system.
23
24 If it's not arts, and you have the sys-process/psmisc package merged, try
25 using the "fuser /dev/dsp" command to see what if anything has the file
26 open. If a process is using it, it will return the PID. You can then use
27 ps aux and grep again, to find the commandline of the process belonging to
28 that PID.
29
30 BTW, with both ps/grep commands above, note that the grep command is also
31 returned -- no surprise that a grep of a ps listing returns the grep
32 command in that ps listing. <g>
33
34 ...
35
36 It's also possible that it's not all that, but a different config option
37 in KDE that has it silent. In the same kcmshell kcmnotify module I
38 mentioned earlier, check that you don't have all sound turned off. Also
39 check in kcmshell bell that you don't have "use system bell instead of
40 system notification" turned on.
41
42 Finally, I've never tried merging kde with USE=-arts, so I don't know
43 exactly what that removes. Possibly, that turns off the entire notify
44 framework, in which case you'll have to compile with arts enabled, and
45 just tell KDE not to run it (using kcmshell arts), before setting up an
46 external player for KDE system notification events.
51 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
52 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
56 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list