From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: x11-drm-20051223 failure - `SPIN_LOCK_UNLOCKED' undeclared
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 11:51:56
1 Mark Knecht posted
2 <5bdc1c8b0601120833r15ed1c19p78cf746ed2395e80@××××××××××.com>, excerpted
3 below, on Thu, 12 Jan 2006 08:33:59 -0800:
4
5 >> Builds fine here against suspend2-sources-2.6.15
6 >
7 > Interesting kernel choice. I hadn't heard of it. Where does that one
8 > come from? It's in portage I see. Is this a Gentoo developed kernel or
9 > from some outside working group?
10
11 I believe suspend2-sources are the tree that the suspend2 author is
12 releasing, so it's from outside Gentoo. However, as with all portage tree
13 kernels save for vanilla- and now git-sources (which has just been added,
14 as a daily updated release of the nightly snapshot of Linus' git tree, for
15 to encourage more direct testing -- bugs to be filed upstream on the
16 mainline kernel bug tracker, *NOT* on bugs.gentoo, for report turnaround
17 speed in testing the nightly snapshots), the suspend2-sources include the
18 standard set of Gentoo patches, I believe.
19
20 One can of course take a look at the ebuild, and trace thru the inherited
21 eclasses if necessary, to see what sources it uses and how. Or just run
22 emerge --fetchonly to see what it downloads to $distdir, and/or just
23 complete the ebuild and watch the output to see what it does and what it
24 merges. (Kernel ebuilds don't actually compile the kernel, just install
25 the sources, to allow user or genkernel configuration and compilation as
26 desired.)
31 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
32 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
36 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list