From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: unknown monitor
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 16:08:36
1 DR GM SEDDON posted <437F2ED9.80303@×××××××××××××.uk>, excerpted below,
2 on Sat, 19 Nov 2005 13:55:37 +0000:
3
4 > Many thanks for this detailed reply, my monitor is a 20" sgi crt. i
5 > prefer sgi we use them at work in drug design they give good 3d. I have
6 > the hr and vs rates, where do I put these.Also, is the monitor name
7 > needed verbatim. Finally, is there a tool for setting up my initial
8 > monitor type and card? Since I'm apprehensive of my setup.
9
10 Cool! Now we're gettin' somewhere! <g> 20"+ CRTs I know a bit about as
11 I'm running two (a Viewsonic and a Dell Trinitron) in dual head mode right
12 now.
13
14 If you already have the timings, no, you don't need specific model numbers
15 or whatever.
16
17 As I mentioned, xorg has several tools for initial setup. However, after
18 trying Linux and then leaving it for a couple years, when I finally got
19 serious about it (due to the fact that MS was asking me to cross a line
20 with eXPrivacy I could not and would not cross -- because I believed it
21 would ultimately legitimize spyware and the like -- exactly as it did --
22 see where we are today with Sony's rootkit they apparently saw nothing
23 wrong with, anyway, since I couldn't upgrade to eXPrivacy, I switched to
24 Linux...)
25
26 ... When I finally got serious about Linux, I asked for book
27 recommendations and after getting repeated recommendations for two books,
28 bought them both, O'Reilly's Linux in a Nutshell (aka The Arabian, for the
29 horse on the front), and Running Linux (aka the Rearing Horse... horses
30 must be their Linux mascot theme). Running Linux is textbook tutorial
31 style, while Linux in a Nutshell is a reference work. After reading the
32 600-ish pages of Running Linux nearly cover to cover, I dove right in and
33 learned how to custom configure and compile my own kernel, did a rather
34 complicated multiboot LILO setup, and learned how to configure xfree86 for
35 triple monitors on two video cards, because the automated stuff
36 couldn't handle that!... All that within the first three months of getting
37 serious, while I was still dual booting back to MSWormOS to run OE for
38 mail and news, because I hadn't had time to look into the desktop software
39 angle yet, so didn't know what I wanted. When I get serious about learning
40 something, I LEARN it, and there's NO going back. (But note that was after
41 two years of still being on MSWormOS but figuring I'd eventually end up
42 switching to Linux, so verifying all my hardware purchases would do Linux
43 before I spent the money... So by the time I did it, I knew everything I
44 had would work, and it did!)
45
46 Anyway... back to the topic... As a result of that I haven't had to mess
47 with xorg's automated detection stuff in years, and then it was only very
48 briefly, and I don't know much about it, save for what I've read in the
49 various manpages and the like.
50
51 I'd say take a look at "man X" to start, skim it, get to the bottom, and
52 go thru the what's related manpages as well. I KNOW there are at least
53 TWO different methods shipped with xorg that can be used to auto-scan and
54 generate a basic starting point with at least /some/ of the settings
55 correct, hopefully. If I'm not mistaken, there's actually four such
56 utilities, and one of the manpages actually gives you a list of the
57 recommended order to try them in, the easiest first, the most likely to
58 work but harder to manage because you end up plugging more into it
59 manually, last. However, as I've said, I didn't need that info and was
60 just scanning it looking for other stuff, so it's possible there were two
61 methods that I counted twice.
62
63 Or... probably the easiest method, if it works, would be to grab and burn
64 an ISO of Gnoppix/Knoppix and/or of Kubuntu/Ubuntu. A couple years ago,
65 Knoppix was considered the best at hardware detection (overall, but
66 certainly including video hardware for X) around, but most distributions
67 have availed themselves of the open source since then and have in general
68 caught up. Ubuntu is of course the one everybody's talking about now.
69 Grab the 64-bit version if you can, it's handy to have around as a liveCD
70 and emergency boot and repair platform, but the 32-bit version should
71 detect stuff equally well so will do just fine for our immediate purposes.
72
73 Anyway, if you can get one of those things to work, doesn't matter which
74 one, you can copy it's xorg.conf from its ramdisk to your drive or a
75 floppy or something, and you may not have to worry about messing with it
76 at all if you don't want to. DEFINITELY, NOT ALL DISTRIBUTION INSTALLS
77 ARE CREATED EQUAL, but if you can find just one that can scan and
78 recognize your hardware (or just part of it if not all), that should work,
79 and give you some info on what you have, if nothing else.
80
81 As for where you plug the stuff in if it comes to that... and you may have
82 to change at least a /few/ settings...
83
84 As I mentioned, man xorg.conf does a fair job, and you should have a
85 sample to compare with, altho I'd hate to have to start from that without
86 at least something /partially/ matched to my system. Anyway, I'll give
87 you a brief overview here, but that's where to look for more, or ask...
88
89 The file is /etc/X11/xorg.conf (note the cap X in X11). It's very
90 modular, and once you get the hang of the layout, the modularity is a help
91 because it keeps the complexity down and allows you to worry about just
92 one thing at a time.
93
94 The different sections or modules can be in any order, but are logically
95 related to each other this way:
96
97 Section Monitor contains the settings for your monitor. along with an
98 Identifier "what-you-call-your-monitor" entry. That Identifier entry is
99 how that section is referred to everywhere else. It's convenient to
100 identify by brand and model, as in 'Identifier "Dell-2125s"', if you have
101 it, making it easy if you have more than one to use the same section over
102 elsewhere, but you can call it 'Identifier "Xyzzy"' for all xorg cares, as
103 long as you then refer to it as "Xyzzy" everywhere else you need it. If
104 you have only one, just call it "Monitor1" or whatever, if you like.
105
106 You may have more than one Monitor section, each with it's own identifier,
107 if you have multiple monitors you are or may be plugging in.
108
109 Likewise, your graphics card has its settings in a Section Device,
110 likewise with an Identifier entry. Here, as I play with multiple cards
111 sometimes, I use identifiers like "DevAGP0", "DevPCI1, etc. However,
112 again, you can call it what you want. You can call it by brand and model
113 if you like, or just "GraphicsCard1" or whatever. Of course, fancy setups
114 may have more than one graphics card or a card with multiple outputs.
115 Depending on the driver and configuration, a card with multiple outputs
116 may be configured as separate cards (therefore separate Device
117 sections) for each output, or have additional settings for the second
118 output in the same Device section.
119
120 A Section Screen combines the Device Section and the Monitor Section(s)
121 for what's plugged into it. Again, it'll have it's own Identifier, I call
122 mine "ScrAGP0" and the like, after the Section Device it matches up with,
123 but you may call yours "Plough" for all xorg cares, as long as you always
124 refer to it with the right identifier.
125
126 Within the screen section, there's a Monitor "<identifier>" entry and a
127 Device "<identifier>" entry that match up with the appropriate sections
128 described above. Again, as long as the identifiers match correctly, it
129 doesn't matter what they actually are.
130
131 The screen section also has one or more Subsection Display subsections.
132 These will normally be one for each color bitness level (8-bit color,
133 15/16-bit color, 24- and 32-bit color), tho I run Xinerama, which wants
134 you to stick with the same bitness level, so I pick one and stick with it,
135 and don't bother with the others. The main purpose of these subsections
136 is to contain the list of desired resolutions, like the long one I posted
137 earlier, one list for each bitness level. There are of course some less
138 significant optional entries as well, but the two big ones are the list of
139 accepted resolutions for that bitness, and the line specifying the color
140 bitness the list applies to. These are subsections of the screen
141 sections, so they don't get their own identifiers.
142
143 There are also Section InputDevice sections, one for each input device
144 (keyboard, mouse, graphics pad, touch-sensitive-screen, whatever) you
145 have, naturally each with its own identifier entry.
146
147 Combining all these we have Section ServerLayout. You should be able to
148 predict several of the entries it will have, its own identifier,
149 naturally, plus one or more Screen and InputDevice entries, referring to
150 the appropriate sections by their identifier. Again, the identifier is
151 entirely arbitrary. Call it "SvrLyout1" or "Y2" (get the running joke
152 yet? <g>), it doesn't matter, as long as it matches the identifier it's
153 referring to.
154
155 There will be one default Section ServerLayout, the first one listed IIRC
156 if one isn't specified when the server is invoked, but as with the other
157 Sections, you may have others as well, if desired.
158
159 There are some other, more global, sections as well. Section Files lists
160 what else? paths to other related config files (and fonts or the config
161 to use the font-server if you run one) on your system. Xorg has sane (and
162 Gentoo normal) defaults built-in, if this section is missing. Similarly,
163 the ServerFlags section is optional. However, that's where you put
164 settings such as PM (Power Management) timeouts, and set Xinerama
165 (multi-screen) mode, if desired.
166
167 Likewise with the Modules and Extensions Sections. You can run xorg in
168 bare 2D unaccelerated mode without them, in general, or xorg has some
169 configured to run by default if it finds them and they aren't specifically
170 turned off, but there are appropriate sections for them if you want to
171 tweak the settings.
172
173 Back with xfree86 3.x, one had to specify a bunch of quite scary
174 individual timing mode lines, the setting up of which involved some deep
175 black arts! <g> Fortunately, starting with xfree86 4.x and now with xorg,
176 the by far most common of these, the 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x920,
177 1280x1024, 1600x1200, and even down as low as 400x300 (or lower) and as
178 high as 2048x1736 entries, often several individual timings for each
179 resolution, are built-into the binary and tried automatically, so these
180 are no longer needed. There's a site out there, Colas xmodeline generator
181 (google it if needed or I have it bookmarked), that has a script that
182 you just plug in the monitor and card numbers into, and it'll output an
183 a table of appropriate timing entries in 4-pixel x increments covering the
184 entire range allowed by your hardware, if you want a mode that's not
185 builtin. I mentioned that 640x400 special mode for a game I have in the
186 previous reply. I got the modeline for that by simply plugging the
187 appropriate numbers into the boxes at Cola's. (Those extra modelines can
188 either go under individual monitor sections, or, if you have several
189 monitors sharing a set of modelines, they can go in their own section,
190 naturally complete with its own identifier entry, by which you refer to it
191 elsewhere.)
192
193 That's the structural outline of the major sections and how they depend on
194 each other in words. Here's a brief "pseudoexample", with only a few
195 "pseudosettings" by way of example. (They are basically real settings,
196 but I'm deleting some of the complicated meat of the config, since I have
197 multiple monitors/cards/screens and am not checking that what's left
198 matches up, so I wouldn't expect this to work anywhere as is, tho it
199 might. Do note how some are hash-commented out, tho.) Again, section
200 order normally doesn't matter.
203 Section "Files"
204 FontPath "unix/:-1"
205 EndSection
206
207 Section "Module"
208 Load "type1"
209 EndSection
210
211 Section "Extensions"
212 # Option "Composite"
213 EndSection
214
215 Section "ServerFlags"
216 # General options
217 Option "AllowMouseOpenFail"
218 Option "NoPM"
219 EndSection
220
221 Section "ServerLayout"
222 Identifier "MainLayout"
223 InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
224 InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
225 Screen 0 "ScrAgp.0"
226 EndSection
227
228 Section "InputDevice"
229 Identifier "Keyboard0"
230 Driver "kbd"
231 Option "XkbModel" "microsoftmult"
232 EndSection
233
234 Section "InputDevice"
235 Identifier "Mouse0"
236 Driver "mouse"
237 Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
238 Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
239 EndSection
240
241 Section "Monitor"
242 Identifier "Dell-M991"
243 HorizSync 30-96
244 VertRefresh 50-160
245 DisplaySize 355 265
246 Option "DPMS"
247 EndSection
248
249 Section "Monitor"
250 Identifier "Dell-2125s"
251 HorizSync 30-121
252 VertRefresh 48-160
253 DisplaySize 400 300
254 ModeLine "640x400" 63.07 640 672 832 896 400 402 414 440 #160Hz for Orion
255 EndSection
256
257 Section "Monitor"
258 Identifier "ViewSonic-P220f"
259 HorizSync 30-110
260 EndSection
261
262 Section "Device"
263 Identifier "DevAgp.0"
264 Driver "radeon"
265 BusID "PCI:5:0:0"
266 EndSection
267
268 Section "Screen"
269 Identifier "ScrAgp.0"
270 Device "DevAgp.0"
271 Monitor "Dell-2125s"
272 DefaultColorDepth 16
273
274 Subsection "Display"
275 Depth 16
276 Modes "2048x1536" "1792x1344" "1600x1200" "1280x960"
277 EndSubsection
278 EndSection
284 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
285 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
289 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list