From: Keith Jackson <kjackson@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] network services start problems
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 21:08:25
1 Homer Parker wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 16:06 +0500, Verm wrote:
3 >
4 >> zcat /proc/config.gz| grep IPV6 or cat /boot/config-<Kernel version>
5 >> |
6 >> grep IPV6 or cat /usr/src/linux/.config | grep IPV6
9 > zgrep IPV6 /proc/config.gz
10 >
11 > grep IPV6 /boot/config-<Kernel version>
12 >
13 > grep IPV6 /usr/src/linux/.config
16 > No need to over work the tired old cat ;)
19 zgrep might be shorter than gunzip | cat | grep but I've always liked
20 how the UNIX shell was extremely modular. You have lots of utilities
21 that do one thing, but do it extremely well. Adding things all back into
22 one command seems to me would lead to larger packages since everything
23 needs zlib support directly now.
24
25 Anyway, not relevant to the actual thread, but I've always wondered what
26 price is being paid for having features of multiple utilities rolled
27 into one. It may barely be quantifiable, but it's not 0. More code
28 rolled into one package, more chances for bugs, etc, etc.