From: Mateusz Arkadiusz Mierzwinski <mateuszmierzwinski@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted.
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 23:05:03
1 Nothing much. Use like normal x86 besides:
2 - Kernel set to Your CPU in Processor Setttings (generic x86_64 is good for
3 all configurations).
4 - Accept keyword for "Beta"-like packages is ~amd64 not ~x86
5 - You don't have to set MMX flag, but set SSE, SSE2 and if Your CPU have it
6 - SSE3 this will optimize floating point operations.
7 - Enable SMP (symmetric Multiprocessing) where available - by flags.
8 - If it's multicore (I have Intel on my LAP so don't know about Your CPU)
9 set MAKEOPTS to cores count+1.
10 - If it's multicore try to enable threads flag - this boosts performance
11 even on single core cpus, but on multicore will make much difference.
12 - Chceck by eselect what profile of portage you have set as default. If is
13 not try setting some with Amd64 on path.
14 - When GCC upgrade check if "multilib" is set - this will enable You to link
15 with 32-bit libs and 64-bit (as standard).
16 - In kernel set ciphers and algorithms (like MD5, SHA etc) to amd64 version.
17
18 I think that's it. Everything elese should be fine.
19
20 2010/12/8 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
21
22 > Hi,
23 >
24 > First post here. I'm usually on gentoo user. I'm in the process of
25 > building a new system which will be 64 bit. I am looking for advice. I
26 > would like people to post things that I might run into that one wouldn't
27 > expect and some things that are different from x86. I was looking at
28 > something on my old rig and noticed the USE flag smp. I didn't know about
29 > that until I ran up on it. I learned something by pure dumb luck.
30 >
31 > I'm a long time Gentoo user. Installed it at the early stages of 1.4. I
32 > also use KDE and have fluxbox installed as a backup. The processor is a AMD
33 > Phenom II X4 955 @3.2Ghz. It will start out with one 4Gb stick of ram. I
34 > plan to expand that later.
35 >
36 > What are some things that I should watch for and enable that isn't so
37 > obvious for someone new to 64 bit?
38 >
39 > Thanks.
40 >