From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: initio seen, mt -f doesn't work
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:02:53
Gavin Seddon posted <1134381056.10949.3.camel@linuxstation>, excerpted
below,  on Mon, 12 Dec 2005 09:50:56 +0000:

> Is there a way of determining the board type, other than opening the box > and removing the card. I don't have it's original box. > Thanks. > > > On Sun, 2005-12-11 at 07:39 -0600, Brett Johnson wrote: >> > >> What model initio board do you have? There are two >> different initio drivers, and the one called "initio" is for the 9100 >> series chipset. It's possible loading the wrong chipset could lock up >> the pc, or at least the console. When the console locks up, I like to go >> to a different terminal (pc) and see if I can ping the frozen pc. If so, >> then try to ssh in (assuming ssh is running) and see if I can shut it >> down remotely.
Annoying very. Q: Top posting is...? (Of course, note that you should trim quotes to the context to which you are replying as well, which top-quoting, as opposed to top-posting, encourages. If you would have trimmed what you were quoting to the above, sufficient to establish context, then I would not have needed to do it for you, here, and the context would have been sufficiently established so all I would have needed to do would have been to post my reply, plus possibly trimming out deeper nested quoting, if you had included it, since it's no longer necessary to establish the context to which I'm now replying.) To answer your question, try lspci (ls for the PCI bus). If the output isn't verbose enough to give you the detail you need, try lspci -v (for verbose). It's a /very/ handy program to keep in your virtual toolbox, particularly if you don't fancy opening up your box all the time to read stuff off of the various chips and cards, let alone that even doing that wouldn't directly give you the same level of detail that lspci -v does. lspci is part of pciutils, in case you don't already have it merged, but you likely do, at least if you have either alsa-utils or hotplug merged. FWIW, there's also a parallel lsusb, part of (no surprise) usbutils. =8^) -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list