From: Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Heads Up Kernel-3.11 Nvidia-drivers
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 19:59:53
1 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> skribis:
2 > 2) Drop nvidia-drivers and try nouveau. May be a reasonable video
3 > direction - my screen-based video/graphics needs are not high -
4 > however I have long terms needs of accessing the GPU as a compute
5 > engine in R so I _think_ I have to stick with nvidia-drivers to do
6 > that. Maybe not but I don't know at this time and I could deal with
7 > that later. (I know Duncan's vote, if he's reading, goes here.) :-)
8
9 I’ve had real trouble with nouveau graphics, not considering cuda
10 computing issues, and so have resigned myself to nvidia’s fetters for
11 the while. I’d switch graphics cards to be freer but, like fictional
12 Jerry Seinfeld’s nana, I’m ‘on a very fixed income’. :)