From: Tonko <tonko.mulder@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Multilib or not?
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 14:10:55
1 It looks like I don't use any 32 bit app so I made the switch to the
2 no-multilib profile.
3 Only 1 question remains (atm actually :P) : Can I just remove the
4 /lib32 and the /usr/lib32 dirs?
5
6 On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 1:39 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
7 > Tonko <tonko.mulder@×××××.com> posted
8 > 43ba12950811210223p4d7f5363kc6baa5a1b65e2c85@××××××××××.com, excerpted
9 > below, on Fri, 21 Nov 2008 11:23:19 +0100:
10 >
11 >> Let's just say that I would switch to the no-multilib profile. Would it
12 >> be enough to just change the profile and do a emerge @system @world
13 >> -auvDN ? Or are there more steps I need to take?
14 >
15 > That's enough in general, yes. The big things to remember to remerge are
16 > glibc, gcc, binutils, and sandbox (and IDR, possibly baselayout as well),
17 > but of course an emerge @system should take care of all of those. If
18 > you've sat thru or timed gcc and/or glibc emerges before, you should
19 > immediately notice they take MUCH less time to merge now, particularly
20 > glibc, because as I explained earlier, with multilib they're effectively
21 > built twice, once for 32-bit and once for 64-bit.
22 >
23 > The other thing to look at with any profile change is what default USE
24 > flags may have changed, and whether you're comfortable with the changes
25 > or not. Of course, switching to a no-multilib profile, some USE flags
26 > are masked either in general or on specific packages, due to requiring
27 > 32-bit, so there'll likely be more change than a simple profile upgrade
28 > would bring. If you like, you can try switching profiles without merging
29 > anything, do emerge -pv @system @world, and take a look at the changes.
30 > If you don't like what you see, it's easy enough to switch back before
31 > you do any real emerges, since all you've done at that point is change
32 > the config and take a look at what it would do.
33 >
34 > When you're done remerging and everything, it'd probably be wise to check
35 > and make sure the old lib32 dirs (I've forgotten what the were
36 > specifically) and etc are all gone, but I /think/ the remerge of
37 > baselayout on the new profile will handle that, unless of course you have
38 > those dirs CONFIG_PROTECTed for some reason.
39 >
40 > One other thing that again the profile should manage, but just in case it
41 > doesn't... For legacy reasons, booting amd64 starts in IIRC 16-bit real-
42 > mode, just as does booting x86(32). That's handled with the traditional
43 > 32-bit gcc. Thus, grub is masked on no-multilib. Instead, you'll use
44 > grub-static. Of course, what's actually installed in the boot sector
45 > doesn't change until you install grub to the boot sector yourself.
46 >
47 > Just to make sure nothing unexpected happens in the process leaving you
48 > unable to boot, be sure you have some other way to boot, a Gentoo LiveCD,
49 > grub installed on a floppy or USB device, etc, and test booting from it.
50 > To be real sure, disable the hard drive in your BIOS, and boot from the
51 > alternative without it. If it's grub, you should be able to get to the
52 > grub menu without the hard drive, tho of course you won't be able to find
53 > the kernel and boot the hard drive with it disabled. If it's a LiveCD or
54 > whatever, obviously you should be able to boot it, with or without the
55 > hard drive. Once you know your alternative boot works, you can reenable
56 > your hard drive in BIOS.
57 >
58 > Then if you like, I think you can merge grub-static (unmerging grub in
59 > the process) BEFORE you switch profiles. This will be safest since
60 > you'll be doing only grub-static by itself, not everything at once. It
61 > will of course install on the system, and try to install to /boot as
62 > well, with an elog message saying whether it could or not. But you will
63 > need to install it to the boot sector yourself. After you've done so,
64 > reboot, making sure it all works, using your pre-tested alternative boot
65 > if something goes wrong, but it shouldn't. Once you've installed it, you
66 > can go ahead with the profile change and not have to worry about at least
67 > that bit of it, since you'll have done it already.
68 >
69 > Of course if you run LILO, it too has 32-bit components. However it
70 > works rather differently. I used to use it on Gentoo back before Gentoo
71 > supported it on amd64, by just using the LILO precompiled binary
72 > available from its homepage. But I eventually switched to GRUB and
73 > haven't kept up with LILO, so don't know the details of how Gentoo
74 > manages it now. But LILO users should be pretty used to managing it
75 > themselves already since Gentoo doesn't provide much help with it, and
76 > because it uses an absolute pointer directly from the boot sector to each
77 > of its kernel entries and the kernel won't need changed for the move to
78 > the no-multilib profile, it's something they don't have to worry about
79 > right during the profile switch in any case.
80 >
81 > Meanwhile, back to the general case. There's an official Gentoo
82 > Upgrading Guide with profile upgrading instructions, here:
83 >
84 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-upgrading.xml
85 >
86 > If you're not on a 2008.0 profile yet, you may wish to take the
87 > opportunity to upgrade to that at the same time. Be sure your portage is
88 > upto date, and check the specific instructions for the 2008.0 upgrade as
89 > posted.
90 >
91 > They suggest using eselect profile, but I've always done my profile
92 > changes by repointing the symlink manually, here. The one thing eselect
93 > profile will do is make selecting a subprofile intended as a cascaded
94 > subprofile only, not a main profile, much more difficult, since it only
95 > lists valid whole profiles. However, the no-multilib profile stands on
96 > its own, so there's little danger of that here, and as I said, I've
97 > always managed the symlink here by hand (well, normally using mc, but
98 > whatever). And they list the manual method as well, for those like me
99 > that prefer it. =:^)
100 >
101 > --
102 > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
103 > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
104 > and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
112 Tonko