From: Alex Alexander <alex.alexander@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Drivers For USB HDD
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 09:03:19
On May 10, 2012 7:34 PM, "Lie Ryan" <lie.1296@×××××.com> wrote:
> > It's not a good idea to not do journalling for an external drive. No
matter how careful you are, it is just a matter of when you will trip up your USB cable in the middle of a write; and then you should just pray that fsck can save your drive without the journal.
> > Also, it probably won't hurt using ext4, given that ext4 had several
performance improvements over ext3. However, as Theodore T'so - the primary developer of ext4 - said, ext4 is a stopgap until btrfs is ready. IMO, from my experience of using btrfs some time ago, I'd say that btrfs is pretty much ready nowadays. for a system drive maybe, but I wouldn't trust my data on it yet. let it mature a bit first :) Alex | wired