From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: 64-bit or 32-bit?
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 19:55:00
Bertrand Jacquin posted
<43872d370603280717w2b6ccbd9l9dae6e21a9a927d2@××××××××××.com>, excerpted
below,  on Tue, 28 Mar 2006 17:17:27 +0200:

> How could you compile mplayer or firefox in your 64 bits environnement > to generate 32 bits binary ? I have multilib activated and I can't > build mplayer with CFLAGS="-m32". > > It is needing something else ? > > I don't want too to have and maintain a 32 bit chroot.
There /are/ the 32-bit precompiled packages for those in the tree, firefox-bin and mplayer-bin, if you want to merge them. Note that these use different executable names so you can even have both your regular 64-bit and the 32-bit-binary versions merged side by side. As for why you can't seem to compile the 32-bit binaries, it's very possibly because you are missing certain of the libraries and other dependencies, or more likely, the 32-bit headers for them necessary for compilation. Naturally, you could track all this stuff manually, but that's what portage is for -- only it can track only one bitness at a time. Thus, the idea of a 32-bit chroot, complete with its own instance of portage, which can track all the 32-bit dependencies necessary to compile in 32-bit what you really want, firefox and mplayer, in this case. Sure, it's /possible/ to track all those dependencies manually, but it's /far/ easier to run a chroot for the purpose and let portage do what portage does well -- automate all that stuff for you so you don't have to worry about it. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list