From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: emerge --depclean question
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 18:50:37
1 On 12/31/06, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 <SNIP
3 >
4 > Basically, it's a process of using --depclean -p, and getting a list, then
5 > using common sense and trial and error to figure out what's safe to remove
6 > and what's not. It's not an easy or simple process, which is why there
7 > are such big warnings on it. However, it's worthwhile to do once in
8 > awhile, both because it helps keep the troubles away, and because stuff
9 > that it says needs removed is stuff portage won't be regularly updating,
10 > and that can quickly become a security issue if there's a vulnerability in
11 > one of those packages.
14 Hi Duncan,
15 I'm proceeding along getting a number of packages removed which is
16 good. However here's an example one I'm not sure how to handle or why
17 it's showing up. I've run --depclean -p and see what appears to be an
18 unneeded library called libwmf. However when I try tracing my way back
19 to find what depending on it I eventually get to xine-ui which I use
20 all the time:
21
22 lightning ~ # equery d libwmf
23 [ Searching for packages depending on libwmf... ]
24 media-gfx/imagemagick-6.3.0.5
25 lightning ~ # equery d imagemagick
26 [ Searching for packages depending on imagemagick... ]
27 gnome-extra/libgsf-1.14.2
28 media-libs/xine-lib-1.1.2-r3
29 media-video/transcode-1.0.2-r3
30 lightning ~ # equery d xine-lib
31 [ Searching for packages depending on xine-lib... ]
32 media-sound/amarok-1.4.3-r1
33 media-video/xine-ui-0.99.5_pre20060716
34 media-video/totem-2.16.4
35 lightning ~ #
36
37 I'm pretty sure that if I removed libwfm I'd find I had to reinstall it.
38
39 Am I missing something or incorrect in how I'm tracing back through things?
40
41 Thanks in advance,
42 Mark
43 --