From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: SOLVED: Re: FGLRX: Option SwapScreens in xorg.conf not working
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 17:39:28
1 Sebastian Beßler <sebastian@××××××××××××.de> posted
2 4A46197C.6020703@××××××××××××.de, excerpted below, on Sat, 27 Jun 2009
3 15:07:08 +0200:
4
5 > Thats my problem with xrandr atm.
6 > I DON'T want to EXPAND my Desktop to anything when activating my TV. I
7 > need two clean seperated screens and that doesn't seem possible with
8 > xrandr. All it does is giving me this fucking stupid extended BigScreen.
9
10 AFAIK, the non-xinerama non-merged separate screens idea was one of the
11 features that no longer works with RandR.
12
13 Your best bet would be posting a question about how to do it to the xorg
14 list. I expect you'll be told it's not doable at present, but at least
15 that way they'll know there's demand for it out there.
16
17 Meanwhile, at least kaffeine (using the xine engine, so anything using
18 xine should work similarly) still works with a double-click to full-
19 screen to a single monitor, here, using RandR 1.3, xorg-server-1.6.1.901-
20 r4, and the standard radeon driver from xf86-video-ati-6.12.2. In fact,
21 in the default Xv mode, I don't believe it could full-screen to more than
22 that, since Xv uses the old video overlay technology, which works to only
23 one monitor at a time. (There's a newer textured-Xv using OpenGL 3D
24 texture mapping instead of the old overlay tech, but I'm not sure if the
25 Radeon driver handles it, and even if it does, the card won't, at the
26 resolutions I'm running, because OpenGL is limited to 2048x2048, and I'm
27 running stacked 1920x1200 for 1920x2400, thus limiting OpenGL on either
28 the bottom monitor or shutting it off entirely, depending on the app.)
29 But Xshm, tho not quite as efficient as Xv, can work on both monitors at
30 the same time, and kaffeine still double-clicks to single-screen full-
31 screen, without disturbing what's on the other screen. But that's with
32 the desktop spread across both. I don't have room here for a non-
33 computer TV screen, even if I wanted one, so I use the two for computer
34 and video display both.
35
36 (I don't have an actual TV, the old 2.5" LCD I had from when they first
37 came out with them in solid state back in the 90s, is now officially
38 outdated, as the analog signal it used is now officially off the air, so
39 I officially do not have a TV at all, and that's the way I want to keep
40 it! I watch video downloaded over the Internet or from DVDs, both using
41 kaffeine, on my computer monitors.)
46 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman