From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Correct -march in make.conf
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 18:27:36
1 On Monday 18 December 2006 12:06, "Mark Haney" <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
2 wrote about '[gentoo-amd64] Correct -march in make.conf':
3 > I've been using -mcpu since I started using gentoo, but have been
4 > noticing the '-mcpu is deprecated etc.' messages when updating. Being
5 > the paranoid I am, I'd like to get rid of those, but haven't found the
6 > correct option to use for -march. Is it the same as -mcpu? Or what's
7 > the correct one for amd64?
8
9 I'm using -march=opteron however, that may not be appropriate for
10 non-opteron amd64 chips. The gcc info pages list the available options,
11 along with a short description of what CPUs they target. The contents
12 of /proc/cpuinfo are relevant if you'd like us to further advise you.
15 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
16 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
17 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
18 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh