From: Clemente Aguiar <clemente.aguiar@××××××××××××××××.pt>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Revdep-rebuild - broken dependencies
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:37:51
1 > -----Mensagem original-----
2 > De: news [mailto:news@×××××××××.org] Em nome de Duncan
3 > Enviada: segunda-feira, 10 de Abril de 2006 12:55
4 > Para: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
5 > Assunto: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Revdep-rebuild - broken dependencies
8 > Clemente Aguiar posted
9 > excerpted below, on Mon, 10 Apr 2006 10:57:17 +0100:
10 >
11 > > Actually everything went quite well and the system is
12 > running, but I
13 > > do have a weird problem with the results of revdep-rebuild.
14 > >
15 > > When I run revdep-rebuild I get the following list of broken
16 > > dependencies:
17 > > ----------
18 > > Checking dynamic linking consistency...
19 > > broken /opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.03/jre/lib/amd64/libjsoundalsa.so
20 > > (requires libasound.so.2)
21 > > broken /usr/bin/xterm (requires libXaw.so.8)
22 > > broken /usr/kde/3.4//lib64/kde3/kded_mediamanager.so (requires
23 > > libdbus-1.so.0 libhal-storage.so.0 libhal.so.0) broken
24 > > /usr/kde/3.4/lib/kde3/kded_mediamanager.so (requires libdbus-1.so.0
25 > > libhal-storage.so.0 libhal.so.0)
26 > > ----------
27 > >
28 > > At the end revdep-rebuild just re-emerges blackdown-jdk.
29 > > If I re-run revdep-rebuild then the same list of broken
30 > dependencies
31 > > are shown and the same package is re-emerged. So basically running
32 > > revdep-rebuild does not solve the problem of broken dependencies.
33 >
34 > Well, blackdown-jdk is a binary package. As such, remerging
35 > it will normally just remerge the same package with the same
36 > dependencies, since it's compiled not against what's on your
37 > system but against what existed on the supplier's system when
38 > they compiled it. Unfortunately, revdep-rebuild isn't really
39 > smart enough to figure that out.
40 >
41 > What version of gentoolkit (the package that contains
42 > revdep-rebuild) do you have? Are you on ~arch or stable
43 > arch? Newer revdep-rebuilds include a method for
44 > blacklisting certain packages, normally binaries, so it knows
45 > not to remerge them. However, I'm not sure how old that
46 > feature is or if it's in stable gentoolkit yet. In any
47 > case, check the revdep-rebuild manpage and examine
48 > /etc/revdep-rebuild/* if you have that dir.
49 >
50 > In this case, libasound.so.2 is part of alsa-lib (according
51 > to equery).
52 > However, if you have a 32-bit java, you'd need a 32-bit
53 > alsa-lib as well.
54 > I'm not sure if that's provided by one of the 32-bit
55 > compatibility libraries or not. (It's not provided by
56 > anything I have merged, but I have the bare minimal 32-bit
57 > stuff merged as about the only thing I use it for other than
58 > the multilib stuff for sandbox/gcc/glibc is grub.) If you
59 > have the 32-bit compatibility libraries merged, and one of
60 > them contains the correct library, revdep-rebuild obviously
61 > can't see it, so you'll need to add the dir where it is to
62 > the search-path. Of course, if you have a 64-bit java and
63 > have alsa-lib with libasound.so.2, then revdep-rebuild should
64 > be finding it.
65 >
66 > For the other errors, see what equery belongs <file> (where
67 > file is the broken one) returns. Normally, revdep-rebuild
68 > will rebuild that package.
69 > If the equery returns nothing, then that file is orphaned and
70 > you either installed it manually (not using portage) or
71 > portage somehow lost track of it. You may wish to consider
72 > deleting it, unless you installed it manually.
73 >
74 > If the equery returns a package, then you probably hit a
75 > known bug with revdep-rebuild. The newest ~arch version may
76 > fix it, or not.
77 > I'm not sure as I solved the problem manually. Basically,
78 > what's happening is that on amd64, there's something
79 > returning /lib64 when it should be returning lib64 (no
80 > prepended /). This causes certain packages (KDE's arts among
81 > them) to put a path with a doubled // in one of the config
82 > files where it should of course be a regular path (single /
83 > dir separator). Most stuff can figure out that // means /
84 > and work around the issue, but revdep-rebuild wasn't doing
85 > so, and was therefore skipping a path that it needed to
86 > search, breaking its dependency resolution.
87 > There's a patch in the newest gentoolkit that's supposed to
88 > resolve this, I think, but I believe I saw one report that
89 > it didn't.
90 >
91 > In any case, once I figured out the revdep-rebuild issue
92 > (with the help of the related bugs), I was able to correct
93 > the offending // paths (grep //
94 > /etc/env.d/* , then edit the files appropriately, removing
95 > the // paths) by hand, then run env-update, and after that
96 > revdep-rebuild could find what it was missing before.
97 >
98 > --
99 > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
100
101 Well my problems are practically solved, except for one (blackdown-jdk).
102 The 2 broken dependencies of the kded_mediamanager.so where solve
103 removing one of the two / as you mentioned.
104 The broken dependency of xterm was solved by manually re-emerging xterm
105 (no revdep-rebuild did not do it automatically, maybe some little bug?)
106
107 But for blackdown-jdk, I just don't know how to tell revdep-rebuild not
108 to re-emerge the package.
109 My gentoolkit version is 0.2.1, I am running stable arch and I do not
110 need sound (it is a server, no sound needed).
111
112 Clemente
116 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list