From: Gavin Seddon <gavin.m.seddon@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] initio seen, mt -f doesn't work
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 17:57:58
1 Thanks
2 Which modules do I need to add to 'etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6'?
3 Gavin.
7 On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 08:08 -0600, Brett Johnson wrote:
8 > > st: Version 20050830, fixed bufsize 32768, s/g segs 256
9 >
10 > It appears to me that the st driver is loading properly, but I did not
11 > see any sign of the SCSI driver loading in the dmesg output.
12 >
13 > This could be becuase you have the module compiled as a module, in which
14 > case you can jump to the last paragraph.
15 >
16 > If you're not sure if the driver is configured in the kernel, you can check it quickly by typing 'grep INITIO /usr/src/linux/.config'
17 >
18 > If the output says "# CONFIG_SCSI_INITIO is not set", you will need to
19 > run 'genkernel --menuconfig all', navigate to the Device Drivers -> SCSI
20 > device support -> SCSI low-level drivers and enable Initio 9100U (W)
21 > support.
22 >
23 > With this being a tape drive, I'd probably select module as opposed to
24 > compiling into the kernel. Once the build is complete, install the new
25 > kernel and modules, and reboot. (Assuming you picked module, his step is
26 > probably optional, since all we did was add a module, but I like to reboot
27 > to be safe).
28 >
29 > Now, just run 'modprobe initio' and it should load without any errors. The last
30 > step is to check 'lsmod' and 'dmesg | tail'. You should see the scsi card
31 > loaded, and the tape drive and assigned a device name (st0).
32 >
33 > Brett
34 --
35 Dr Gavin Seddon
36 School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
37 University of Manchester
38 Oxford Road, Manchester
39 M13 9PL, U.K.
42 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list