From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: vectorization (was: gcc4 CFLAGS)
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 23:53:14
1 Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk> posted
2 200609232230.36532.prh@××××××××××.uk, excerpted below, on Sat, 23 Sep
3 2006 22:30:36 +0000:
4
5 > And I've found that module-init-tools won't compile with -combine either.
6 > It complains about too many modules being passed. I did the same as you
7 > and removed -combine while merging module-init-tools.
8
9 Yeah. I've not done a full emerge --emptytree world with -combine in my
10 CFLAGS, so while I know it doesn't kill a majority of packages, it
11 apparently does kill a few. Still, for the additional optimization it
12 enables, I consider it worth it on the others.
13
14 > I did have another package fail to compile during the first emerge -e
15 > system, but I don't remember the details. On repeating emerge -e world the
16 > problem didn't recur (after emerge --resume --skipfirst to allow the first
17 > invocation to finish), so I stopped thinking about it.
18
19 The latest ~arch portage fixed a few circular dependency and other
20 dependency resolution issues. It wasn't uncommon to have a few packages
21 fail on emerge --emptytree, the first go round, due to these issues. The
22 fixes now in portage are said to fix the most common such issues, but may
23 not fix them all. What that all means here is that a few instances of
24 having to invoke --skipfirst isn't unexpected, and likely weren't due to
25 anything in the new CFLAGS or whatever. Hopefully, as a portage with the
26 new changes eventually moves into stable, there will be fewer of those
27 --skipfirsts necessary.
32 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
35 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list