From: "Florian D." <flockmock@×××.at>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Root on Raid and LVM
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 12:35:01
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > He didn't say he didn't have an extra boot. He only enumerated the LVs
3 > (logical volumes) on the MD/RAID, which he said was on sda5, sdb5, etc,
4 > all partition 5, on /dev/md5.
5 yes, i also realized that afterwards..
6 >
7 > The usual way to handle that, if you are booting from the RAID array
8 > as well, is to create a small raid1 array out of small partitions toward
9 > the front of each physical disk, for /boot. Being raid1 (mirrored), the
10 > same data is imaged to all disks in the raid1 identically. Both GRUB and
11 > LILO can read individual disk partitions belonging to the mirror array as
12 > if they were stand-alone partitions, so can boot from any of them, altho
13 > they do boot from only one at a time.
14 i have a similar solution with a raid5 for /opt /usr /home, etc. and a
15 small / on raid1. but i think grub is better in this situation, because
16 with the grub shell, in case of a failed disk, the changed
17 identification of the subsequent disks can easily be corrected. i don´t
18 know how lilo handles this.
19
20 > ... As some may guess, I've been studying this stuff recently! =8^) I
21 > don't have my own RAID setup yet, but probably will by late this week. (I
22 > plan to go pickup the drives probably Tue or Wed.)
23 good luck. when there is no email from you for some days, then we know
24 sth. went wrong ;-)
25 --
26 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list