From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: Confused by cdrecord
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 20:58:46
1 "Robert Longbottom" <RobertCL@×××××.com> posted
2 36655.144.98.76.45.1150875071.squirrel@××××××××××××××××××.net, excerpted
3 below, on Wed, 21 Jun 2006 08:31:11 +0100:
4
5 > I've noticed similar problems - some dvd's that I burn can only be re-read
6 > in my burner and not in my other dvd-rom drive. But some work.
7 >
8 > I've wondered if it is something to do with the disc variant -R, +R and
9 > all that, but I've never really looked into it. Now I always test that I
10 > can read back the contents of the disc to a temp directory just to be sure
11 > it works.
12
13 It could be. The author of CDRecord has a bit of a feud going with the
14 Linux kernel hackers over the proper way to handle SCSI (thus the bit in
15 there about 2.6 kernel support) and has refused to add DVD support to the
16 GPL version as well, because he charges for that and has it in his
17 slaveryware version. Various distributions have hacked DVD support in,
18 but there's a bit of difference between the -R and the +R support, the
19 details of which I'm not too sure of myself.
20
21 A quick esearch reveals dvdrtools, a fork of cdrtools including dvd
22 support. That must be the version various distributions are using, given
23 Schily's refusal to add dvd support to his freedomware cdrtools.
24 There's also dvd-rw-tools.
25
26 Here, I just use k3b for burning and let it worry about most of the
27 details. So far, it has "just worked".
28
29 The problem might also be with "session-at-once" vs. "disk-at-once". A
30 multi-session CD/DVD won't be closed out at the end of writing, thus
31 allowing additional sessions to be added. After the last session you are
32 supposed to close out the disk. Some ROM drives won't be able to read the
33 un-closed disks until they are closed out, altho any burner should still
34 read it just fine. I always use (and verify the setting of) disk-at-once in
35 k3b, since I never do multi-session disks.
36
37 Due to the way sessions work, with a lead-in and a close-out for each
38 session as well as the entire disk, each session wastes a bit of capacity,
39 so a multi-session disk won't be able to store the same amount of bytes as
40 a disk-at-once disk. The more sessions, the more wasted capacity and less
41 available storage. Both for this reason and due to the disk-closeout
42 issue on CD/DVD-ROM drives, I find it less hassle to just do disk-at-once
43 and not worry about individual sessions.
50 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
53 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list