From: Ryan L <drseus88@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] alsa mixer question
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 16:41:46
Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:

>On Saturday 05 November 2005 10:43, Steve Herber wrote: > > >>I am running a 2.6.14 kernel: >> >>uname -a >>Linux lurch 2.6.14-gentoo #1 PREEMPT Mon Oct 31 01:06:31 PST 2005 x86_64 >>AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux >> >>using the 2005.0 profile and ~amd64<F4> ARCH on a Shuttle SN85G4. >> >>In general a single sound application, xmms, mplayer, torcs, works. The >>problem is that the browser, galeon and others, often open /dev/sound/dsp. >>Then when I try to run a second application that also uses sound, the >>second application fails when it tries to open /dev/sound/dsp. >> >>Does anyone have recommendations that I could follow to more easily get >>multiple applications to work together? >> >>I just want to be able to start a browser, xmms, and then run a few laps >>with Torcs. >> >> >>
You could also pick up a cheap Sound Blaster Live! card and throw that it in. Should work right off just fine with multiple apps. It is an old card, but it has hardware mixing and does the job rather well. Otherwise you could use a software sound server. I would recommend esound. It's better than arts and jack. But if you don't want to get a card that has hardware mixing, I would suggest what the other guy said and that is to setup dmix. It will result in a better quality sound than using a software server. Less overhead as well. -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list