From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted.
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 00:02:58
On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:17:18 -0600
Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:

> > What are some things that I should watch for and enable that isn't so > obvious for someone new to 64 bit? >
The first thing to decide is whether or not you want a pure 64-bit system or a 64-bit system that keeps 32-bit capability. I am a purist. I left 32-bit programs in the dust a long time ago. But as a consequence there are some things that I will miss because they are available in 32-bit packages only. An example would be Acroread, the PDF viewer, from Adobe. Without Acroread, you will only view pdf files through the 64-bit xpdf. The Intel C++ compiler is another example. In fact, most commercial software that bothers to release a Linux version will do so in 32-bit format only. So if you need to make use of those offerings, you'll need to keep 32-bit compatibility. My own view is that these software developers are way behind the times and should have long ago made their products in a 64-bit form. It's not that difficult to do. Whatever the choice, pure 64-bit or 64/32, Gentoo makes it easy. Frank Peters