From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV (thread drift - slaveryware)
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 22:00:31
1 On Thursday 28 September 2006 16:32, "Bob Young" <BYoung@××××××××××.com>
2 wrote about 'RE: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV (thread drift -
3 slaveryware)':
4 > > -----Original Message-----
5 > > From: news [mailto:news@×××××××××.org]On Behalf Of Duncan
6 > > "Bob Young" <BYoung@××××××××××.com> posted
7 > > FAEEIJPAOFEMBBLKPMJEOEGGHKAA.BYoung@××××××××××.com, excerpted below,
8 > > on
9 > > Thu, 28 Sep 2006 11:16:29 -0700:
10 > That's not freedom, they are still completely dependent on the mechanic
11 > they take the car to.
12
13 No, they aren't. They can use another mechanic. Instead of having to
14 consult *one particular entity* they can consult *any entity of a
15 particular class*. They gain a choice, which means they have more
16 freedom.
17
18 If you still aren't convinced ask yourself which is more free: being able
19 to stand on only *one particular* square meter of public property or being
20 able to stand on *any* square meter (and, of course, being able to change
21 your choice each time you choose to stand).
22
23 > I agree, and that is a perfectly valid argument (faster porting), as one
24 > of the merits of open source. However, it doesn't actually provide any
25 > greater *freedom* to most end users.
26
27 It most certainly does. No matter how many resources I give my local
28 programmer's co-op, they can't port Macromedia's Flash application to
29 64-linux the source [and an appropriate licence] from Macromedia. (They
30 might [subject to software patentes] be able to provide a replacement.)
31
32 However, I can take any piece for free software and, without consultation
33 or aid from the copyright holders, have my local programmer's co-op port
34 it to a new architecture. There may be significant resource outlay, but
35 it is at least possible.
36
37 With non-free software, you are (at best) on the wrong end of a monopoly
38 position.
41 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
42 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
43 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
44 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh