From: Michael Kjorling <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Hardware: USB controller card recommendations?
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 21:31:44
1 On 2006-01-11 11:36 -0800, rsanders@×××××××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > Pick up a card with an NEC controller.
3
4 Well, the biggest problem is that finding what controller is used
5 isn't always that trivial.
6
7 I did some looking around though and found the Belkin F5U220 4+1-port
8 PCI card, which apparently are based around the NEC LSI controller and
9 is not too outrageously priced. If anyone has first hand experience
10 with this card or can make other specific recommendations, I would
11 like to hear about it.
14 > FWIW - the motherboards with Nvidia chipsets work very well.
15
16 If that is the case, I must be doing something wrong. From somewhere,
17 I was under the impression that the Nvidia CK8S was just a re-branded
18 Via. The motherboard in my system is a Nvidia NF3 250Gb CN-8N2ALSR4,
19 CPU is Athlon64 3000+. Partial lspci output:
20
21 vuk ~ # lspci | grep -i usb
22 00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK8S USB Controller (rev a1)
23 00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK8S USB Controller (rev a1)
24 00:02.2 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce3 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev a2)
25 vuk ~ #
26
27 In the kernel configuration under Device Drivers -> USB Support, I
28 have EHCI (CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD) and OHCI (CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD)
29 enabled, and UHCI (CONFIG_USB_UHCI_HCD) disabled. Don't tell me all I
30 need to do is use different kernel configuration settings? (I run
31 kernel 2.6.13-gentoo-r5.)
32
33 If it helps, the problem is that USB "mostly" works, but after
34 transferring a certain amount (which I have not been able to determine
35 in more detail) of data to or from a device, communication with that
36 device simply ceases until I at least cycle its connection to the
37 computer. (Power cycle the device, or unplug and plug back in the USB
38 cable.) At that point the device is reset, and nice recovery (as in
39 resume from wherever it was) is impossible.
42 Michael Kjörling, michael@××××××××.com - http://michael.kjorling.com/
43 * ASCII Ribbon Campaign: Against HTML Mail, Proprietary Attachments *
44 * ..... No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings ..... *