From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: kde4, xorg, xf86-video-ati/radeon, and multi-panel display
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 12:33:45
1 Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> posted
2 d257c3560811230338m78e3f60bg40754ac934ea0025@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Sun, 23 Nov 2008 11:38:54 +0000:
4
5 > if you put your fb as a line input for the script it would be more
6 > adaptable than is now. but it's a good script.
7
8 Well, there's a balance between simple and adaptable. One of my goals
9 was to keep the number of parameters to a minimum. However, if I had
10 really intended it for public use (as I've basically setup my kernel
11 scripts to be, now), I'd have setup a config file and read the
12 framebuffer size from it. Of course, I'd have the various resolution
13 choices setup in the config file as well, if I were doing it that way, as
14 well as the various xrandr output interface names (VGA1, DVI1, etc). I'd
15 have abstracted out the stacked relationship to the config file as well,
16 making side-by-side and option, and may have allowed setting the default
17 position to the four corners and centered on the four edges (much like
18 kde3's kicker panel positions), as well as centered and possibly
19 arbitrary, as well.
20
21 But when the positioning thing didn't work I kind of lost my motivation,
22 as I could neither fully debug it nor use it as intended, so I didn't do
23 much to it after that, except update the hard-coded resolutions for my
24 pair of LCDs, when I got them.
25
26 But... it's a reasonable start (proof of concept, working demo) for
27 someone with reasonable bash skills, who has a system where the xrandr
28 position functionality works as documented, so he can test and debug if
29 necessary that bit of it. Feel free! =:^)
30
31 BTW, I didn't document it when I posted, but consider that script to be
32 in the public domain. That gives anyone who wishes to improve it the
33 freedom to choose whatever license they want (preferably freedomware, of
34 course, maybe MIT, since that's the license xorg uses and it'd be rather
35 pointless without that), for their improved version.
36
37 > i think i'll attach it over a hotkey. if i manage to
38 > have it attached to a hal event it would be even better... thanks for
39 > it.
40
41 I hadn't thought about a hal event... Interesting idea, tho my
42 configuration here is a reasonably stationary desktop, so there's little
43 reason to think of the hal trigger. But maybe when I get my netbook
44 (Acer Aspire One) setup with Gentoo... we'll see.
49 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman