From: Daiajo Tibdixious <daiajo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] SOLVED Re: no sound in firefox java
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 22:42:54
On 6/19/11, Daiajo Tibdixious <daiajo@×××××.com> wrote:
> On 6/19/11, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote: >> Daiajo Tibdixious posted on Sun, 19 Jun 2011 13:48:23 +1000 as excerpted: >> >>> I installed pulseaudio, added the pulseaudio use flag, and rebuild with >>> --newuse. >>> I went thru <http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup> logged out & in >>> from kde, >>> and got no sound at all. >>> Rebooted and still no sound, in any application.
I removed all of the pulseaudio stuff and found snd_hda_intel giving Unknown parameter `ac97_quirk' which is an option I added to /etc/asound.conf which some website had suggested. This was preventing the driver from loading which was the cause of no sound at all. Anyway, removing the option, rerunning alsaconf, I not only had all sounds back, but the initial problem of java applets not having sound in firefox has also gone. So, not sure what caused the initial problem, however doing a whole bunch of things to try to fix it, then removing them, seems to have done the trick. :)