From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: SOLVED: Re: FGLRX: Option SwapScreens in xorg.conf not working
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 12:11:28
1 Sebastian Beßler <sebastian@××××××××××××.de> posted
2 4A45EEAF.8090906@××××××××××××.de, excerpted below, on Sat, 27 Jun 2009
3 12:04:31 +0200:
4
5 > It works again.
6 > All I had to do was disable xrandr1.2 support in the driver by stopping
7 > X and using aticonfig --set-pcs-str="DDX,EnableRandR12,FALSE"
8 >
9 > If xrandr support is enabled the driver gives all controll over the
10 > displaysettings to xrandr so that the SwapScreens Option in xorg.conf
11 > gets ignored.
12
13 Cool, thanks! =:^)
14
15 I figured it had to be something simple like that and suspected it might
16 be RandR related, but as I don't do proprietary, including proprietary
17 video drivers, I had no idea what sort of mangling of RandR the
18 proprietary driver might be doing.
19
20 But turning it off should work, for now...
21
22 FWIW, assuming the RadeonHD driver is RandR 1.2 compliant, and the fglrx
23 driver should be similar, check out the monitor section of the xorg.conf
24 manpage. In particular, the layout and screen sections work a bit
25 differently with RandR and position information that was previously to be
26 found there is now located in the various monitor sections.
27
28 Among other things, this facilitates monitor hotplugging, tho there are a
29 few kinks still being worked out there. But the idea is to put all the
30 information used with a particular detected monitor together in the
31 section for that monitor, so with a laptop for instance, you can have
32 different settings for your external monitors at home and at work, plus a
33 projector setup you use for presentations, plus just the laptop monitor
34 itself, and once they get the kinks worked out, you should be able to
35 boot your laptop into X with say the external monitor at work plugged in,
36 put it into suspend, take it on the train/bus, open the laptop and it'll
37 detect that you no longer have the work monitor plugged in and switch to
38 laptop monitor only, suspend again, plug in at home and have it detect
39 and setup for the home system, suspend again, take it on the plane and
40 use it in flight with just the laptop monitor, suspend again, get to your
41 presentation, plugin the projector, unsuspend and have it detect the
42 projector and use the mode already setup for it, etc...
43
44 With the latest ~arch xorg (and RandR 1.3), you should get most of that.
45 The caveat ATM is that xorg-server can't yet expand its virtual screen,
46 or at least there are problems in some cases with doing so, so regardless
47 of what's plugged in when you start X, you have to have the config set
48 the initial virtual screen size large enough to enable the screen real
49 estate for whatever else you might plug into the system until you shut
50 down and restart X again. Given that, the rest of the RandR based
51 autodetect should work, and you'll get more or less usable configurations
52 based on what you've preset... the defaults are still for a newly plugged
53 in monitor to clone the existing primary display.
54
55 The second caveat is that RandR 1.3 is where it finally got decently
56 usable, and even if you're running the latest xorg with RandR 1.3,
57 everything else still has to catchup to X, with various window managers
58 and GUI RandR apps still being somewhat behind.
59
60 xrandr works well enough from the command line, but one either has to
61 master all the various options to get it to do what one wants, or set it
62 up with scripts and the like. The more intuitive GUI RandR applets,
63 krandrtray for instance, are still at RandR 1.2, semiusable, or RandR 1.1
64 or earlier, more broken than usable, state, and while they might work
65 well enough to change resolution on a single monitor, they are way more
66 frustrating than actually workable once a second monitor is added. Thus,
67 at this point, effectively only those who have troubled themselves to
68 master xrandr well enough to write scripts to do what they want have it
69 working decently.
70
71 As mentioned above, window managers are the second aspect of this
72 caveat. They're behind as well, and frankly, none of them deals
73 particularly well with the large virtual desktops necessary for effective
74 monitor hotplugging, dynamically confining apps to just the displayed
75 area when only a single monitor is plugged in, but remembering where they
76 should be when a second one is plugged in and moving everything
77 accordingly -- specific to what monitor is plugged in, as well, so your
78 home layout, work layout, and presentation layout, can all be different
79 and don't conflict with each other and with the laptop-monitor-only
80 layout. My guess is that it'll be another year or so before they sort of
81 get it working, and a couple before they get it working /well/.
82
83 Anyway, there's definitely a method to the madness, with the usability
84 for laptop users vastly improving, but for relatively stable desktop
85 configs that seldom change, it's a pain, as the process is breaking what
86 /was/ perfectly usable, working configs, forcing people to learn a whole
87 new way of configuring things, with various features that used to work
88 often temporarily broken in the mean time. As I said, RandR 1.3 is the
89 first RandR that's fully usable here, bringing back panning functionality
90 and all, but it was a difficult transition learning how to get the new
91 setup to do what I wanted. And every once in awhile there are still
92 quirks. For instance, the full-screen-mode of many apps forces the
93 system into primary-display clone mode, at whatever resolution the app
94 wants for full-screen-mode. So I get the same cloned display on both
95 monitors, when what I really wanted was either a single full screen
96 display spread over both, or full screen on the one, setting it to
97 whatever resolution was desired, but leaving the other monitor alone, so
98 it continues to display at its previous resolution and pixel
99 coordinates. I'm not sure even all FLOSS software will ultimately get
100 that right, let alone ages old proprietaryware games and the like that
101 won't be getting any more updates. So it's something we'll have to live
102 with for awhile. Meanwhile, I've learned to avoid the in-app full-screen
103 modes and use my xrandr scripts and normal mode window moving and
104 resizing to accomplish what I want. That almost always works, once the
105 scripts are setup correctly, but it's nowhere near as simple as having
106 the in-app full-screen-mode just work as it really should.
111 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman