From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Now I have a problem with l32 too
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 13:09:40

Me too [/aol] Now I get the expected `uname -m` result for root as well as for me, but I can't run any X programs because the DISPLAY variable isn't set, thus: prh@gentoo32 ~ $ xterm xterm Xt error: Can't open display: xterm: DISPLAY is not set xhost doesn't help me either: prh@wstn ~ $ xhost local:localhost non-network local connections being added to access control list prh@wstn ~ $ l32 bash prh@gentoo32 ~ $ sh /usr/local/src/install-crossover-standard-5.0.0.sh Verifying archive integrity...OK Uncompressing CrossOver Office Standard <snip> The DISPLAY variable is not set. You cannot install this program from a console. Run startx or xinit to start an X server first before running setup.
This is what I get when I try to run a program from an xterm: prh@wstn ~ $ xhost local:localhost non-network local connections being added to access control list prh@wstn ~ $ l32 bash prh@gentoo32 ~ $ sh /usr/local/src/install-crossover-standard-5.0.0.sh Verifying archive integrity...OK Uncompressing CrossOver Office <snip> The DISPLAY variable is not set. You cannot install this program from a console. Run startx or xinit to start an X server first before running setup. Or if I try putting all the commands on a single line (sorry about the wrapping): prh@wstn ~ $ xhost local:localhost && l32 /usr/local/src/install-crossover-standard-5.0.0.sh non-network local connections being added to access control list /bin/bash: /usr/local/src/install-crossover-standard-5.0.0.sh: Permission denied Clearly, I still have much to learn. -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list